Re: Help with H.O 302

O0okeveno0o opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m26.aol.com:

Im getting noisey lifter when i start my engine and i took a valve cover > off and its pumping a lot of air with the oil its a new engine less then > 800 miles on it. the oil pressure isnt so hot neither like 30 psi going > down the road and 15 or so at a idle.Anyone got any ideas on what could > be wrong >

Yeah... If it's like you say. someone screwed up bolting on the oil pickup.

Or the tube may be cracked

Do it now or the engine is forever crippled

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It could be low on oil,the pickup tube or pump could be loose,a bad oil pump,a lifter could be bad or coming apart,one of the small oil gallery plugs could have been blown out or excessive bearing clearances would cause a drop in oil pressure.FWIW there is a oil gallery plug on the top of the block just under the intake manifold,I've had 2 of these to come completely out on original 302's, it has 0 oil pressure when this happens.

Reply to
winze

Thanks guys for the input. i found my prob I took the pan off last night and found they had cracked the oil pump, looked to me like the pickup tube wasnt fitting so good so it was pride over cracking the pump the best part they tried to patch it with formagasket. Showed me what kind of a guy he is 30 dollor part almost cost me 1500 motor. You bet ill be paying him a vist come tuesday with the pump in my hand.

Reply to
O0okeveno0o