Re: OT Kinda: Anyone use a G Tech pro ?

S>> I was thinking about grabbing one of these things to get my hp and 1/4

>> mile time. Anyone ever use one of these things? Are they and good or >> is it a worthless p.o.s? Are they close to accurate? > >While I haven't done a direct comparison, meaning >running the Gtech Pro (the older LED-version, not >the super snazzy LCD version) while I take a timed >pass at Infineon, the results I'm seeing from mine >are pretty useful for 0-60 and 1/4 mile. HP, I dunno. >I wouldn't compare it to a real dyno. > >Not worthless at all as a tuning tool, but not >what I'd call authoritative at all for hp. > >Dana

With the exact weight of your car it should be able to tell you the correct nr's

Rein

I use one. Its actually more useful than a chassis dyno for real world information. Since it uses accelerometers to record data, it takes into account actual conditions of a moving vehicle.

I find it most useful in determining gains/losses after installing or tweaking mods to the car.

The best thing about the competition version is that its easily upgraded to new firmware via the flash bios. JUst be sure to thoroughly read the rather lengthy users manual.

Reply to
Mustang_66

Of course, if you feed it the exact weight it will tell you quite accurately your effective HP. But I wouldn't compare it to any dyno number, since a car or engine is motionless when driving a dyno and not subject to drag losses. Most people talk about static dyno numbers and not the kind of "effective" HP number you get with the Gtech, so you really can't compare them.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

True, but at lower speeds those drag numbers don't make a huge difference. It's the weight that will determine that. I've heard they are very accurate

Rein