RE: Strange freon coming out from under hood

OK here is an update on the '99 convertible. I checked the a/c system and instead of having 250-300 max pressure it had 445 pounds of pressure. Any ideas about what could be clogged?? I did unplug the system so it would not come on, so hopefully the compressor will not be ruined if it isn't already. Any ideas??? Thanks, ben

snipped-for-privacy@bmi.net

Ok group this is a strange one for sure. This is a 1999 Mustang Convertible with a V-6. My friend just bought it and she said it made a funny smell and sound. I just got home from going for a ride with her and while we were driving w/ the a/c on all of a sudden it was like somebody vented a nitrous bottle on the starting line. Between the right fender and the hood freon came out for about 3-4 seconds about 6-8 inches high. Just lasted for a few seconds and then it quit. We stopped the car and I looked under the hood and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I will say that I smelled something just as soon as I saw the freon coming out between the gap. Any ideas what it might be and what I should do to fix it? I can be reached at snipped-for-privacy@bmi.net thanks, ben

Reply to
Ben Dixon
** OK here is an update on the '99 convertible. I checked the a/c system and ** instead of having 250-300 max pressure it had 445 pounds of pressure. Any ** ideas about what could be clogged?? I did unplug the system so it would not ** come on, so hopefully the compressor will not be ruined if it isn't already. ** Any ideas??? Thanks, ben ** ** snipped-for-privacy@bmi.net

Either your ambient temps are above 130 degrees, or the system is likely overcharged. 445 is pretty damn high. Even at 100+ around here, I don't see any more than 350 on mine, and that's pushing it. If the system is cooling properly, I doubt that your orifice tube is clogged.

My advice: remove some refrigerant *legally* (don't ask me about that - I don't do anything legally these days) until the pressure drops below 350 psi. at 1500 rpm, using outside air and the blower on high.

An alternative would be to take it to a professional for a more accurate diagnosis.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams