Rear Gears Question!

"Mark C." wrote in news:sL6dnWMiiOAj0-vfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It's actually the reverse. The automatic needs the torque more than the manual.

Reply to
Joe

Kate I was on the interstate last night & some fuckweed in a 94-98 V6 Mustang is zooming between traffic @ 75~85mph (posted speed limit

65mph--surrounding traffic going 70mph).. *almost* rear-ends me... THEN almost freaking hits the front of my car! He WOULD have had I not slammed on the damn brakes. Sorry, but if you're looking for a joy ride.. please take it away from my Elizabeth! (not YOU kate... just "you" in general).

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

Agreed. But I'd still go 3.73's w/ manual.. and at least 3.73's w/ automatic.. depending on the gearing in the transmission.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

wish i went 4.10's instead of 3.73's in my 88 coupe AOD

Reply to
IsellJeeps

I think I'll go with 3.73 coz it's my daily drive, and I drive kinda close to Kate. The question is what's lim-slip and is it a required thing with

3.73 or how do i know if i need it or not! HELP
Reply to
mustangGT_00

When you get your 3.73 gears (good choice--they are a blast) make SURE you get an install kit purchased as well (anywhere from $80 - $120). It will include new bearings. As Kate said to me when I was installing my 3.73 gears... it's like sex w/out a condom.. ya don't know until it's too late :P (or something along those lines).

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

Gee, sideways can be fun ;>)

Reply to
Richard

An opened differential sends power to only one tire, the least effective tire, the one with the least resistance. A limited slip differential sends power to both axels/tires, much better traction. If you are going to screw around putting in a different "performance" gear ratio and not have limited slip (you may already have it) that would be silly. If you spend the money changing gear ratios, make sure you have limited slip too.

Reply to
351CJ

To see if you have a limited slip diff check the VC label on the door jamb. Find the axle code.

Here's some possibilities: X5 ? 3.27 conventional Z5 ? 3.27 conventional VM ? 2.73 limited slip LE ? 3.27 limited slip ME ? 3.27 limited slip

If none of those match check here:

...you can also check the diff tag itself. It has the ratio and if it's limited slip. Ex:
DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Now Mikie, you KNOW I wouldn't do that to you.

Hey! When are we gonna have that BBQ ????

Reply to
SVTKate

It should be obvious by now, that not a one of know what the f*ck we are talking about and are in no way qualified to offer you ANY kind of advice on which gears you should buy.

Opinions and belly buttons.. that's all I have to say about this subject.

LMAO!!!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

How far are you from West Tennessee??

C'mon over, you can take Shug around the block and see if you like em or not.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Damn Mike, andf you LISTENED??

Your (2nd) ol momma os tearing up with pride right now *snif*

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

"Richard" wrote

| Gee, sideways can be fun ;>) | | -- | Richard |

Oh Baby Oh! I like it too, for a little variety.

Kate

| > As our poster can see there are MANY different opinions on this subject. | He | > will just have to choose what he thinks is best for his own application. | >

| > I like my 3:73's, if I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing. | > They have enough torque to send me sideways in second gear, and that's | > enough for me. | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Business is still going up! I'll hafta come up to Tennessee this summer! Elizabeth is being a PITA right now though (my car)... grr.. gonna work on her today to try to get this clutch cable situation fixed.

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

LOL

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

LOLOL

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

"SVTKate" wrote

Please Kate, Stop teasing us. Us single desperate guys can't handle it. I'm typing one-handed now. AARGH!!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Way, way, way TMI.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Thanks guys for the info. that was helpful site. I checked my stang, and it's 3L27. So, i guess it has the lim-slip, rite! I'm going to get the

3.73 from ford racing and let'm install it tomorrow so i can race Kate, lol.
Reply to
mustangGT_00