Rebuilding 302 in central Pa

Anyone care to recommend and engine rebuilder in central Pa. I want the whole job done (including painting, new air intake manifold) read to turn the key. 302, 72 Thanks

Reply to
furtig

Have you considered a crate motor? By the time you get someone to rebuild it for you, you'll probably spend the same amount of money (or more) as a good crate motor. And you will have spent a lot more time, and have had a lot more hassle going back and forth to the rebuilder during your lunch hour. Check the ford motorsports catalog.

You can get a rebuilt long block from places like Pep Boys and Autozone. But I would avoid them like the plague.

Reply to
.boB

.boB Thanks for the advice. Remanufactured long blocks come with oil pan or do I reuse my old one? Also what's your opinion on what I should do with my old cast iron intake manifold clean it, hot tank, and paint or after market AL (I am leaning toward the latter. Is an after market AL wasted on a two barrel? I got around 19.5 mpg with my old setup. How much will a 4bb decrease this? Then I will have the problem of setting up new timing? I would like to increase performance, but not a great deal. Thanks for helping me to think through these issues.

------------- original 72 302

6 year 71 Mach 351 Ram (18)63 3" parrott
Reply to
furtig

I agree about the crate engine. The guy I bought my 93 from had it rebuilt at around 250k miles and for what he spent, he could have had a nice crate engine. It only has 30k miles since the rebuild and it already smokes a little. Dammit.

John

it for you, you'll probably spend the same amount

time, and have had a lot more hassle going back

But I would avoid them like the plague.

Reply to
teeces

JohnV@nn opined in news:uuRFd.20025$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I spent $750 8 years ago at Dayton's Performance Clinic to have a perfectly good 2.3 turbo short block rebuilt.

They TOTALLy F#$#@ked it up!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

All the in put here and locally (one good mechanic told me that he could not recommend anyone for a rebuild,... "not done often enough to be proficient and there always seems to be secondary problems"). So next question: From whom to buy a crate? Local stores, or is there an online site to recommend?

Reply to
furtig