Replacement Key

I have a 96 Mustang GT and one of my keys broke. I called ford for a replacement and they told me the key has a chip/sensor in the rubber part of it. I would have to pay $35.00 for the key and about $100.00 to program. Does anyone have an idea how i can get the key programmed for cheaper?

Reply to
Stepford

Call a few locksmiths. You can do better.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Go to a lock smith, and have him make a couple of keys on a standard blank. With your remaining chipped/stock key, cut the end off, and tape it up under the dash.

Reply to
.boB

Now THAT's funny! I would have never thought of that.

:()

Reply to
dwight

I tried that the first day my key broke, I had a key made and I taped the old rubber head with the chip in it to the end of the key but the car still would not start.?

Reply to
Stepford

  1. The chip needs power. It gets it through inductance. (maybe in the slot or near it)
  2. The chip sends a signal when it gets that power. (maybe back out the key to a receiver in the slot or near it)

I would stick it in or near a slot. ;)

Reply to
GILL