REQ: Information on 1967 Firewall

Hello!

I recently purchased a 1967 coupe in great condition (to accompany my 2002 convertible).

I am not sure if this is the correct terminology, but many people have told me to have something installed between the back seat and gas tank to protect from fire during a rear collision.

Is this truly neccessary? If so, what is it really called and where can I find one? Finally, where would I go to have it installed?

Any information is appreciated. Cheers,

It goes by steel rear seat divider...a 'firewall' is the common term for the divider between the engine and the dash area.

Here's one site that sell it:

Other Mustang sites sell them...Search the web for 'classic mustang parts' and you'll find plenty.

Looks like that it is a do-it-yourself project for the mechanically abled. Here's someone's site that installed one:

I'm sure a local musclecar/hotrod parts store could point you to a few shops that could do the dirty work.

Another alternative is to replace the stock tank with a racing type fuel cell...the kind with an internal bladder to hold the fuel. They fit in the stock location...you still have a flat trunk floor...and still use the stock gas filler. Definitely a more involved install though.

Some companies sell a plate that is mounted on the stock tank:

The choice is yours

Reply to
Dinsdale

Excellent information. Thanks!

Although its a good safety measure, no one will claim it as a firewall for liability reasons.

Reply to
Mark