Roller Rocker Question?

My 70 mustang 351W motor has roller rockers...I get a little valve clatter for about 2 minutes when cold....then it goes away. The motor runs strong...It has hydraulic lifters...Is this a lifter problem or a roller rocker needing a slight adjustment? Is there a way to tell the differents?

Reply to
rick

I would start with readjusting the rocker arms. Are you sure it is not the lifters pumping up?

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

It's from the oil draining out of the lifters and valve train as the engine sits. It takes a few seconds for the oil to get back up there and quiet things down. About 10 years ago I had a '69 Mustang 351W that did the same thing. I put in a can of Slick 50 and it stopped doing that. Start ups were very quiet after that.

Reply to
.boB

Careful, or you will awake the oil additive gods of war by extolling a positive use of Slick 50. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I hear ya. I'm tapping theses keys very quietly, the lights are off, the shades are down, the dogs at the kennal, and I'm going to hide in the crawl space for the next few hours :)

Reply to
.boB