Re: 350 Chevy Rocker Studs

The question is, is it possible to re-seat the studs somehow and avoid

> having to rebuild the heads? Or once dislodged, are they likely to work > their way back out? How can they be pushed back in, given that I don't have > a hydraulic press that will fit under my hood? :) I'm guessing a piece of > wood and a hammer, but I'm hoping someone else might have been through this > before.

I believe they sell replacement studs that you thread in.

Your "clatter was probably because the rocker arm nuts weren't tightened down enough. With hydraulic lifters you have to take out the slack plus a bit more. With the engine running and warmed up, you SLOWLY tighten down the rocker arm nut. (If it wasn't clattering, back of slowly until it starts). Note where the clatter stops. You continue to slowly tighten down until the engine starts to miss on that cylinder. Back off halfway to where the clatter stopped. This centers the hydraulic plunger in the tappet in the middle of its travel. You can take out the "slop" before firing up the engine the first time. The rocker arms shouldn't have ANY slop, but don't overtighten! When initially firing the engine up, I'd "chase" the obviously clattering rocker arms before getting into the "serious" adjustment. No sense having them banging away which isn't good for them. Just snug them up enough to get rid of the clatter at first.

Reply to
Bill Kapaun

Yes they do.

The mounting holes in the head must be reamed for the new stud size. I would recommend doing them all.

There is a specification for this. Using it would be the way to center the tappet plunger.

clattering

Reply to
saeengineer

I'm going to pound them in and see if they stay put long enough for me to finish a minor overhaul on another engine. If they pop right back out I will secure them with roll pins, there are kits for doing that but I expect I won't need a kit.

I figure they were tight enough to stay put until something bad happened, maybe they will stay put some more.

Thanks for replying.

97T