Selling Mach 1, Question..

Well After 10 years with my restored mint 1969 428 Mach 1 it has to go. Having never sold one, I can only imagine that there will be some oddities with the process, for instance - a legitimate potential buyer will demand a road test, however I don't want to start 'giving rides' to those who have no real intention of purchasing. More specifically:

Any comments on how to screen without offending? I realize that we're talking about a $25-35k item here, not a 6-figure one, but I still don't want every Tom, Dick, and Mario to drop by for a free 'test beat'.

Any comments on how to screen without offending? I understand that we're talking about a 30-50k item here, not a 6-figure one, but I still don't want every Fred, Dave, and Tom to drop by for a free 'test beat'. More specifically:

How should I identify a qualified buyer? I probably don't appear 'qualified' to many because of my age and informality in dress, preferring comfortable jeans to something more flashy.

Do I accompany on a test, or let the buyer go alone...or when should I say no to a test drive and how do I go about doing it?

Reply to
Steve

NEVER let your car go alone. It is the last you will EVER see of it!

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
Brad

Steve,

My advice is to build a web page and list the car on Ebay, either that, or retain the services of a "sellers agent" to market the car for you. Takes the hassle out of dealing with the general public, sure you'll still get the stupid questions, but your going to have to deal with that anyway you go. Finally, never let anyone else test drive your car, as your insurance will not cover them, or your car could be long gone, leaving you sitting in your driveway with a stolen car parked in it (I've seen it happen to others)...................

Bill S.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Steve.. I wondered the same thing with my cobra that I want to sell now. I definitely don't want the "wanna bes" just coming by for a joyride either.. and I don't want my clutch thrashed to sh#$ nor the brakes. I will just ride with them and if they get crazy, turn off the keys I guess.

********* ALSO.. I have heard about taking cashiers checks as payment could be a bad idea.. they criminal types having been forging these and they are looking pretty correct.. like from Bank America or whatever.. best bet is to 1) get cash 2) go with buyer to his bank get cash or have real check made there 3) cash check and wait two weeks for it to clear. My stupid bank will deposit the check and make it available to use right away.. Cashiers checks take up to two weeks to clear from bank to bank just like a hand written check. ********************

dave

Reply to
Dave

You COULD put "serious inquiries only, no test pilots" in the ad, or maybe even if somebody's coming to look at it, have them bring a certain amount in certified funds for you to "hold"? A person in the GTA Mustang Club that works at a chrysler dealership was telling me about the policy there for test driving the Vipers. "We take $10,000 (CDN) off the person's credit card, and they can take it for a test drive" I'm sure $10grand off a credit card wouldnt be feasible, but you know what I mean. Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

TROLL.

Reply to