Rust on Certified Used 2005 Matrix

Hello, All. I have bad rust forming on my 2005 Toyota Matrix. I bought it used and it was certified. Most of the people at the dealership are just trying to pass the buck back to Toyota. I have to wait for a Toyota rep to come out to see the car. I'm pretty sure he's just going to tell me it's not covered under any warranty. This is distressing as I just also bought a 2007 Sienna....wish I hadn't at this point. Should have stuck with Honda....my 1999 Civic doesn't have a bit of rust to spite many dings/chipped paint on the door panels.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to get Toyota to stand behind their product?

Thanks!

Reply to
ben.f.simon

Well, they did certify that it was used!

Rust on a three year old car is unusual to say the least. Does the car show any signs of body repair? If the dealer is a chain store, there isn't much you can do except complain to Toyota in Japan if the factory rep won't stand behind it. If the dealer is local-owned, see if you can get a mailing address and complain to the owner. In any case, good luck.

Reply to
Retired VIP

As the person who used to have to go see cars with rust, my guess is that the repair will be covered if the vehicle is within the warranty coverage period and the rust is caused by a defect in materials or workmanship. If the rust is from an area that has had previous body repair that was done after a dealer first sold it, then the repair would be the responsibility of the body shop that did the original bodywork. If that is the case, ask the factory rep to research to see if any body work was done at the port of entry prior to the vehicle being retailed the first time.

Where is the rust appearing?

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, that's the standard procedure. I'm sure Ray will tell you how it works, but a decision like this is left to Toyota.

You didn't mention what kind of rust. I know for a while Toyotas came with a 10 year (I believe) *PERFORATION* warranty. The rust had to penetrate the body of the car within 10 years for Toyota to repair it. Usually a Toyota will go 15 years even in salty New England before the rust monster starts appearing.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not really normal no... Mine is a 05, but has no rust at all that I know of. I do keep it in a garage when not driving though.. :/ If I had to guess a reason for a newer car to rust it would be a large collection of leaves, pine needles, crud, etc collecting in certain places. That clogs up drain holes, and keeps the water from draining off. If it's lower body, maybe road salt? Anyway, in most cases of early rust, the culprit is usually clogged up drain holes, loads of dirt collecting in fender/ door panels,panels, etc. Parking under large trees in wet climates will lead to body drain clogation. I just pulled and cleaned my cabin filter a couple of days ago. It had leaves and all kinds of crud on top of the filter. I cleaned all the crud off, and then washed it out under the faucet with some dish soap, and reinstalled after it dried out. I can get quite a few more miles out of it. The frame is plastic, so washing it doesn't make it crumble away like a paper frame filter.

Reply to
nm5k

I am now FED UP with the service manager and the local dealership. I brought my 2005 Matrix in Monday to show to the visiting Toyota rep. He looked at the rust and said he had "seen it before" (which was shocking to say the least) but was willing to take care of the matter at no charge. While we were writing up the paperwork I asked the local branch customer service rep (Collette) if I can get a loaner car while my Matrix is worked on. She left and asked the Toyota rep. She came back and said "YES." The guy behind the counter told me to bring my car in in the morning since that's when they get their rentals and it's best that they can get a full day out of it. I said okay.

Well I have just gotten back from the dealership...returning with my Matrix because THERE WAS NO RENTAL AVAILABLE. The service manager just shook his head and said they have no record of this. I am so annoyed right now. I don't even want to set foot in that place again. Their oil changes regularly take more than an hour and their handling of this rust situation has been extremely frustrating.

And for all who asked - the rust is appearing on the edge of the driver's side door...the area where you normally would get chips from banging your door into things. I am always very careful when I open my door and KNOW I didn't cause all of those nicks.

Thanks for the suggestion of looking up where the body work was done....seems like a good idea, but since there was no record of it on the carfax report when I bought the vehicle, I doubt anybody has any record of the door being painted/repainted.

Reply to
ben.f.simon

Someone did.. How long have you owned the car? Was the rust forming when you bought it? If you bought the car as is, even if it had some paint chips, and let them rust due to neglect, that is not really their fault. I keep a little bottle of touch up paint just to seal any breaks in the paint when they happen. If paint chips down to bare metal, it's going to rust no matter who made the car. Every time I wash my car I look for any new chips that might need a touch up. I get most of them from tiny rocks on the freeways, but I've had to seal a couple of "edge" chips on the doors, trunk lid, and hood. They are usually real small. And I *Never* hit my door on anything. I don't have a single door dent in my car as I refuse to park next to people in parking lots. I'll park 2 blocks away at the far deserted end.. No Joke.. But I've still had to seal up chips.. And I bought it used, and I'm sure I've sealed a few that were there when I got it. This is my real point.. You should have done the same instead of ignoring it and let it go on and rust.. If you just bought it, you should have seen it and complained then. I was under the impression that the rust was fairly major. This sounds like something you could touch up in about

20 seconds, unless it was neglected to the point of major metal damage. :/ You can get perfect match touch up paint at any autozone.
Reply to
nm5k

No, I never saw the chips before it started rusting. In fact, my wife pointed it out, I didn't think to check the door. I suppose I was just spoiled by my Civic I had for 10 years which didn't require such close attention to minor chips. The rust is bad enough that it has moved under the paint. (Paint which hasn't started chipping is bubbling up with rust under the paint.) Still seems severe for a car that is 3 years old.

Also, you don't know me so I'm not sure why you thought it appropriate to accuse me of ignoring the problem.

-ben

Reply to
ben.f.simon

I think you have just learned the first lesson in "Used Car Buying -

101". LET THE BUYER BEWARE.

Do your home work first by talking to friends, neighbors and co-workers. Find out where they buy their used cars and if they are happy with the dealer. Don't go to the ones who have po'd customers. You might still get burnt but your chances of getting a good car are better.

Don't ever go back to this dealer and tell all of your friends about how happy you are with him.

Reply to
Retired VIP

Loaners are normally not part of Toyota's warranty coverage, so the promise of one was above and beyond. Unfortunately, the dealership didn't deliver. I would reserve one for your next appointment.

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry, tell me again who youbought the car from and how ago long it was. Also was this a Certified Toyota? If so, you can take the matter up with Customer Care. You can probably get the number from the Owner's Manual, or get it from Toyota's web site. If it is a Certified used Toyota then it should have an exetended warranty for it.

I would have told the Service Manager, CALL ME when you have a car available for a long enough time so you can fix this PROPERLY!

Phew. Luckily, we have goos Toyota Service Managers in my area that are still interested in keeping the custoer satisfied. But the best one retired years ago...

I was working for a Toyota dealer a couple years ago. It was owned by one guy, who was a very fair car dealer, took care of his customers and his personnel, and got local awards all the time.

He sold it. The guy who bought it...well, I don't work there any more. I believe in giving people what they pay for, not taking the money and running. I'll never take my business there again...

Reply to
Hachiroku