Shifter extremely tight after ATF change

This is what a trans tech that changed my clutch told me to do.

As far as the breather hole next to the shifter, why don't I see any mentions of anyone using it to refill the oil? Most seem to remove the actual shifter casing (which is a pain in my case).

Reply to
Mark G7#9

just use a funnel with a hose and the fill hole... it's less difficult than removing the shifter.

I don't think that rubber breather grommet comes off and goes on easily and could likely be damaged in the process.

Reply to
Brent

You're probably right, but if it were my car, I'd try to make the idiot that put the 90W oil in my tranny pay for a teardown and thorough cleaning. No way would I let him do it though.

Reply to
MR M.R.

Just put his email up and we'll all email him not to do 90W, he needs to know.

Reply to
habitoid

And just think what an idiot can do when tearing down a trans.... or even a non-idiot who just makes a mistake.

Reply to
Brent

That's why I said there's no way I'd let him do it. Non-idiots don't make mistakes like that, non-idiots check the specs first if they aren't sure. Good mechanics also guarantee their work 100%, so even if a mistake like this one happened, a good mechanic would do whatever it took to make things right with the customer.

Reply to
MR M.R.

Easy way to refill trannies and rears, pick up a pump for outboard lower end lube. They just screw onto the bottle and it's the easy cheap way to refill trannies. It's just a push down plunger pump. Outboard lower units fill from the bottom drain plug so these bottle pumps work great and come with a hose that's usually long enough to reach the fill plug. Outboard lower gear lube is heavy like auto gear lube so it will pump that and ATF with no problem. Thats what I use to refill my GT's trannie.

Reply to
Repairman

Well, here is an update (if anyone cares).

  1. I swapped out the gear oil with ATF, drove around a bit and did another change. Using a funnel with a tube through the shifter hole is fairly easy.
  2. Didn't get a chance to yell at the mechanic yet who recommended gear oil for the T45, and may not do it at all since the kid may get fired. Just may mention it to him in private so he doesn't repeat the mistake. I think it's partially my fault too for not doing some homework.
  3. The car shifts fine now. Drove around 150 miles with gear oil so maybe no damage was done. (Lucky this time).
  4. Moral of the story: when going to Quick Lube shops, stick to oil changes. Tranny stuff is too complicated for some.
Reply to
Mark G7#9

In a pinch, put some ATF in a heavy plastic bag. Stuff the open end in the fill hole. Squeeze it in.

In a pinch.....

Al

Reply to
Big Al