Shortening a 66 mustang driveshaft

I think i'm going to go ahead and replace my 3 speed manual with a T5 tranny. I read that the T5 is 3/4" longer then the 3 speed and that you have to shorten the driveshaft that much to compensate. So I guess I have two questions...

1) Is is really nessessary to shorten the driveshaft, or can I get away without screwing up the tranny? and.. 2)How much would it cost to get it shortened 3/4" and how would they do it?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Chris Sledzo

I had to have a drive shaft made longer for my lifted 4x4 and it was only around $150 bucks. That included all new HD u joints and a replacment rear yoke.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

V'ger

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers
Reply to
V'ger

What about the rear-end? Now's the time to swap in a nine inch rear. This swap will also affect drive shaft length. Don't shorten your shaft by .5 inches, then decide you want to change rears later, and then have to shorten some more!

Basically if you can't reinstall the driveshaft because it is too long, then it needs to be shortened.

have fun...

Reply to
W3tac8oe