SOS - Need help! - PING Jim Warman!

I'm the guy who posted the OT message a few days ago about the fuel pressure on my 99 Ranger and I need HELP!

At the suggestion that the 4.0's have issue with leaking intake gasket(s) I pulled the intake and replaced the lower intake gasket; took time and checked the fuel injectors and such, took my time and just got things back together; the problem is now the roughness is worse, even to the point that it barely starts, I even getting "crack" noise in the exhaust like a backfire. I "only tore it down to the intake manifold with of course taking the valve covers off.

I have checked the spark plugs wires to be sure that I didn't mix them up, checked vacuum lines and anything else I can think of. I am stumped, any ideas? I was really hoping to get the truck out garage so I can put the 65 Mustang back in esp since there is a major threat of rain!! (not to mention the truck in my transportation to work in the morning!!)

I going to tear part way back into it and see if I missed something, damn thing seem two cylinders aren't firing as when I did get it running, it sounded like my old 2.4 4 banger ranger expect for the backfire! AAAHHHHHhhhh!!!!

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Just me...

Any time that we make a change or a repair and wind up with somethig worse, it's time to double check what we've done (or haven't done). When you removed the lower manifold, did you disturb or unplug the camshaft position sensor? How about the DPFE hoses... it can be easy to reverse these li'l boogers. Plug wires are easy to damage if improperly removed. There's a host of gotchas waiting for the unwary....

Go over everything once with a fine tooth comb to be sure everything is hooked up.... once again to be sure it is hooked up where it should be.

Two things I was always told when I was much, much younger..... "check it over.... check it over again..... check it over one more time.... when you're sure it's right, look at it one more time"..... and (drum roll please) I must offer thanks to the bean counter at one job who reminded me (time and again) that I should "cheer up.... things are never so bad that they can't get worse......"

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

{frustrated sigh}

I thought late last night it might be vacuum hose but I covered that and believe it might be something else; didn't touch the cam shaft sensor, but I I'm start back on it this morning and start re-checking wiring to be sure I did miss something. Plug wires might be something to look at, they are new but who knows.

DPFE, is that the device on top of the drivers side fender with a vacuum line, a two wire sensor plug, a larger line running to the front of the plenum intake including a similar line running to presumably to the gas tank? not sure if I understand about reversing the lines as there is only one small vacuum line running to it. One thing that I noticed is that the larger hose which runs to the front of the intake is almost charred in the sense that just handling it, the hands became completely black just by touching it.

Reply to
Just me...

I humbly report back...

Yes, basics are important and the most easiest thing that you take for granted causes the biggest problem.

The issue was Chilton's little "tech" cd; Not only does it show the incorrect fuel pressure but also incorrectly states the firing order in relationship to the plug wires. A good mechanic I took the truck to today smiled after I told him were I got my info in putting the spark plugs back; he told me that wasn't the first time they got a little business thanks to Chilton, I had too much faith in the Chiltons books as my grand-dad swore by them but that was in the days before all the electronics and computer controlled fuel injectors in cars.

Oh well, did find I have some bad fuel injectors and short of the plugs wires, everything thing else I did was good and on the bright side, my coolant system is really flushed well since last fall I replaced the thermostat and this weekend I pulled the intake twice.

Reply to
Just me...

DPFE, AKA "the postage stamp". Looks like a small (around an inch), thin black plastic box with two inch long rubber hoses and an electrical connection on it. The rubber tubes (actually silicon, if I remember right) connect to steel tubes running to the EGR system. All Fords I can think of have them these days - except diesels. Depending on the vehicle they may be screwed to something, on a plastic push pin, or just wobbling around on the end of the tubes.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf