recharging air conditioning refrigerant...

I have a 94 GT, is this worth the hassle to do it myself or should I just take it to a shop and have it done? I'd have to buy any tools that are specific for the job, and of course, the refrigerant. What would the cost be, on average, to get it done at a dealership vs. doing it myself?

Thanks for any replies!

James

Reply to
LoTekGuru

LoTekGuru opined in news:XTDgc.13214$hw5.13698@attbi_s53:

You havent given enough info... what was the rate of performance decay in the a/c?

Does compressor run at all and is the suction (large line to compressor) at all cool?

Look for oily joints in the lines, if there is a lot of oil, or the suction line doesnt get cool at all, suggest you take it to a shop... in either case just adding refrig will be shortlived... and you'll damage your system

It should be 134a refrig so that's not a problem.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic
** I have a 94 GT, is this worth the hassle to do it myself or should I just ** take it to a shop and have it done? I'd have to buy any tools that are ** specific for the job, and of course, the refrigerant. What would the cost ** be, on average, to get it done at a dealership vs. doing it myself?

Depends. R-12 or R-134a? Oily hoses? Does the compresor run? Topping off an A/C system is easy. Figuring out why it is leaking isn't. Most techs use dye and a UV light, things that aren't readily available to shadetree mechanics.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

as far as performance decay, it was working last summer, but when I tried using it a few days ago, it wasn't cool at all... it felt as if I just had the vent on. I haven't looked under the hood for oily hoses, etc. but I'll take a look at that tomorrow

Reply to
LoTekGuru

Come out from the dark ages, JD..... latest trick is to charge the system with nitrogen an use an ultrasonic detector to find the leak(s). This method is absolutely fantastic..... right up until the guy in the next bay starts banging something tough with the impact wrench 8^(

Reply to
Jim Warman
** Come out from the dark ages, JD..... latest trick is to charge the system ** with nitrogen an use an ultrasonic detector to find the leak(s). This method ** is absolutely fantastic..... right up until the guy in the next bay starts ** banging something tough with the impact wrench 8^(

WHAT? No more UV and dye? What in the HELL has happened to humanity? The next thing you'll be telling me is that carmakers have started using carbon dioxide as a refrigerant.

I'm just now getting past the reality of ball joints without grease fittings. Is nothing sacred anymore?

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Rein

I just read that CO2 is likely to be used in cars starting around

2008.

Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy