PING - Jim Warman

Is there a life cycle for injectors that needs to be considered or do they just need to be cleaned (injector flush)? I imagine that a fluid (gas) carries microscopic abrasives but can see that the wear is such that only after a million miles one would need to think about replacement. Is there a suggested replacement interval? Thanks

Reply to
Richard

take em out put them on a rail table check the pattern and output of each injector

hurc ast

Reply to
  whose ya daddy 96

I haven't noticed any identifiable life cycle for injectors.... we have several pick up trucks locally with over 400,000 kms and no verifiable running problems. Back when electronic injectors hit us full force, the gasoline of the day was inadequate for keeping injectors clean. During a hot soak, wax (olefins) would deposit in the injector gumming up the pintle and restricting the orofices.

Modern gasolines don't appear to have these problems. Our injector flusher gathers dust and we haven't had any reason to use it.

Good quality fuel filters have a very fine micron rating and, if serviced regularly, should allow little in the way of harmful articles through. If we purchase our gas from reputable, high volume outlets (if the fuel truck is making a drop, I will wait several hours before filling), we reduce our chances of introducing contaminants to our fuel systems.

I have replaced injectors in the past but (aside from diesel applications) it isn't a real common requirement.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

verifiable

During a hot

In the injector and the tip of the injector. When a car was shut off there would be a little drop of gas on the tip of the injector. A hot engine would vaporize the gas and all that was left was carbon. (Remember gasoline is ~60% carbon) In time, you would have a piece of carbon covering up the injector nozzle blocking the spray. As you noted, gasolines have since been reformulated to stop this almost entirely. Years ago, Ford and BMW did independent tests on why their cars would hesitate during a cold start up. Turns out that carbon buildup in the intake runners and on the intake valves would soak up the gasoline that was meant for the combustion chamber, at least until the carbon was saturated with the gas. Then the cars would run okay. It's important to keep the intake, the intake valves and injectors free of carbon. Sorry to run on forever. I'll get off my soap box now.

Reply to
Kruse

Thanks, I was suspecting that the "injector flush" was perhaps more of a marketing ploy vs. a servicing requirement.

Reply to
Richard

You picked it right.... there was a tine where gasoline technology lagged behind and we could see a difference after an injector flush. There was a point in time where flushing made good economic sense in improved driveability and reduced fuel consumption. With improvements in gasoline blending, I see little use for this service procedure today.

applications)

Reply to
Jim Warman