stalling when warm

Last week I was driving my 1989 Mustang 5.0 down the highway at about 75mph when it just stalled on me. I pulled over to the side and tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. It wasn't overheating, the battery was fine and there was plenty of gas in the car. When I let it sit for a while, it started right up, got me another few miles and did the same thing, Basically it seems as if it will stall out when it gets too warm, but its never at the point that its overheating. If anyone has any suggestions on what it could be, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jack

Reply to
Doug Neidermeyer

Oh my.... pull off the TFI and check the dielectric grease. If it's not grease but a cake, that's either the problem or it will be shortly.

And once it gets to that state, and it has ever acted up...it's too late to freshen the grease.

READ and REMEMBER THIS FOLKS!!!!

When this (total stall/wont start) happens to you on a Ford Distributor car with a tach.. watch the tach as you crank..

Bounce on key-on = power to coil is good

Bounce on Crank = dist and TFI are probably good

Doug, use google search on newsgroups!

Other possibilities: fuel pump, clogged fuel filter

Doug Neidermeyer opined in news:kwwad.241009$3l3.222636@attbi_s03:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Jack

Can you hear the fuel pump running (a hum in the fuel tank)? On my '89 it was the pump failing when it was warm and less than 1/4 tank of gas. I tried a Checker Auto / AC-Delco lifetime warranty pump, but it failed after one year. I bought a Ford/Walbro stock pump and its still working fine after three years. (The AC - Delco pump would start a loud hum after 30 minutes of driving even when new. The Ford pump is quiet).

If you replace the pump (or have it replaced) replace all 5 of the rubber grommets in the tank. They are about $20/all from Ford.

Hank Phoenix '89 ASC/McLaren '87 ASC/McLaren ''85 GT (27k miles-orig owner)

Reply to
Hank

Last week I was driving my 1989 Mustang 5.0 down the highway at about

Another possibility to look for is your fuel pump relay is overheating and shutting down. Take a listen after cold starting the car to see if you hear a hi-pitch whine in the tank area. If the pump is working to hard during operation then the relay shuts the pump down during operation until the pump cools down. If this pans out your fuel pump insulation may be be degrading and it will warrant a replacement.

Reply to
Mr. Ford

Wow! I didnt know all that!

And that relay looks SO SIMPLE! Must be a prototype of that new nano- technology that they were testing ....

Mr. Ford opined

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Actually Mechanic the fuel pump relay will be located under the drivers seat in early model Ponies from 86,87,88,89 years. After that they will be behind the driver rear seat. This is not the fuel inertia switch which shuts down fuel in the event of collision or theft. I can send you a pix and the specs.

As you so politely said, and I quote: "Stick to what you know"!

Reply to
Mr. Ford

WTF!!!!

I know dam well it's under the drivers seat...I've got one in the freakin driveway... who said anything about where it's located.

How about you show me the tracer path where it says that the RELAY shuts the pump down on overcurrent or if it overheats, itself, in the 89 EECIV?

Mr. Ford opined in news:NLTad.32100$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ponies >from 86,87,88,89 years.

This actually covers 90, 91and some early 92 years as well.

The fuel pump relay was moved to the passenger front strut tower next to the A/C cut-off relay for the 92 (mid/later) year as well as the 93

There is no thermal or amperage overload protection in the relays, they are simply a remote on/off contact switch.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Fuel pump insulation?? What exactly are you refering to as fuel pump insulation, gasoline??

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

WindsorFox[SS] opined in news:o0kcd.12992$%t3.156@lakeread01:

chortle.... I saw that on the second go 'rouund and started too rag.. but ah, whatta hell - he means well..... I think.

BTW: WF[SS] means when the fuel pump overheats, it's because of worn bearings. not "worn insulation"

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic