steeda short shifter installation

i just ordered a steeda triax short shifter for my 2004 mach 1. i would rate myself as far from expert (but i'm working on it) mechanically, but by no means a rookie.

i don't want to bite off more than i can chew thinking i can install this myself. i have a decent complement of tools, but are there any special tools i'll need?

if anyone who has done this is willing to share notes and gotchas, i'd certainly appreciate it. in return, i promise to document my installation with digital pictures and written notes and put them up on my website...

Reply to
bitbucket

Don't even think about taking it somewhere to get it installed. I had never even seen my stock shifter handle before I bought the Steeda Tri-Ax & I installed it in 45 minutes (including getting tools out & putting them away). All you need is a socket set & a couple wrenches. Mine came w/ install instructions, but I didn't need 'em... maybe for the bolt-stop adjustments.. but that's all. Did yours not come w/ instructions? Get out there & tear out the old shifter & replace w/ the steeda tri-ax. If you can't figure out the bolt-stops then I'll help ya. Installing the shifter is as easy as removing the old one & putting in the new one... it bolts in on the same spots..

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

One suggestion, use some locktite on the bolts that bolt the handle to the shifter. In my case they worked themselves loose twice from the vibration and will make you shit yourself when you go to shift and the handle flops around like a limp dick.

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:39:46 GMT, wrote: | Don't even think about taking it somewhere to get it installed. I had never | even seen my stock shifter handle before I bought the Steeda Tri-Ax & I | installed it in 45 minutes (including getting tools out & putting them | away). All you need is a socket set & a couple wrenches. Mine came w/ | install instructions, but I didn't need 'em... maybe for the bolt-stop | adjustments.. but that's all. Did yours not come w/ instructions? Get out

i'm sure it will come with instructions, but i don't have it yet. i just figured that if i needed anything special, i would get it now so i can be ready as soon as it gets here.

thanks for the followup -- sounds like it should be a breeze.

Reply to
bitbucket

Mine didn't do that... I torque's all the bolts fairly tight.. dunno the exact pressure though. Lock-tite might not be a bad idea, though. OH... get some hi-temp silicone gasket maker!! I forgot a/b that. You'll need it. And have a wide flat-head screwdriver to scrape off the old gasket material. Also.. it's best to do it after it's been sitting overnight (IMO) that way nothing is hot & when you're scraping the old material off, you don't engrave into the metal.

-Mike

installation

Reply to
<memset

it's a very easy mod.

2 things I'd like to comment on. 1st. To get the shifter boot off you need to pull out the plastic part that the shifter boot is connected to. Do NOT pull on the boot itself or it will separate from the plastic. Pull on the edges of the plastic part, or pull under the shifterboot up on the plastic part.

2nd. Some stock shifters take some force to get off since they stick to the trans. Just wiggle it, some hit it. On my 03 cobra it came right out, but my 95GT it was stuck pretty bad.

To reduce noise you might want to c>i just ordered a steeda triax short shifter for my 2004 mach 1. i would rate

Rein

It's a piece of cake. Even if you haven't a clue. Have a look at these few pages on my website and see if that helps. I know I know,, the site needs updating, but not till I get broad band.

It will show you what you owill be looking at.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top With a personal touch or two.
Reply to
SVTKate