Street racing....

Thankfully, it's been a long, long time since we've been regaled with tales of public road bravado.......

Yesterday, I was called into work to inspect this

. In caseyou're wondering, it used to be a '94 GT. It was a single vehicle accident, the driver fled from police meaning that speed was a factor. The right lower ball joint ball stud was pulled from the socket and the control arm fold over on top of itself. The left front wheel was ripped from the car.... the ball joint ball stud was sheared off, the tie rod end was sheared off, the steering rack piston bent nearly 45° and the strut sheared off just above the reinforcement for the knuckle mount. Both airbags were deployed, no seat belts were used and at least one of the occupants was ejected from the cabin.

If the driver survives, he's gonna one gibbled up youngster. His passenger is not expected to quite so lucky..... I can think of two mothers that aren't having a real good Mothers Day.

Jim Warman

That's very disheartening to see. I witnessed a similar accident just outside of my house, once. A guy with a 99 Trans Am was running from the police on country roads when he came to a turn on a hill. At speeds in excess of 100 MPH, he became air born and took out a telephone and flipped upside down before slamming into a hill and tearing the entire front end off of the car. The passenger, a teenage girl, was not wearing her seatbelt. She suffered severe brain damage after flying through the windshield, and will *never* fully recover. It's so sad to see such a precious life wasted so badly because of such immaturity. The driver, a teenage boy, was taken away from the accident, by police, with little more then a scratch. Why does it always have to be the innocent passenger?

Reply to
Fao, Sean

Crap like that is the reason that I left the Trauma ICU setting. Young people doing stupid shit to f*ck up their lives. After 2 years of trying to patch up people maiming themselves, I left Trauma and went to Cardiac.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Ralph, are you an M.D? Reasion I ask, is that I am heavily considering becoming an M.D myself. Any information would be really great!

thanks

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Nah, just a lowly RN. Great job with security, benefits and lots of room for movement. Consider that career path if the MD thing doesn't work out for you.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Ralph, you need your peepee whacked.... lowly RN my backside. You folks are in the trenches doing the work the docs take the glory for...

A heartfelt thanks and a tip o' the hat to you folks...

Reply to
Jim Warman
** Nah, just a lowly RN.

Lowly RN? I disagree. RN's take care of business, and without 'em, we're screwed. Like teachers, nurses are undervalued and grossly underpaid. Nonetheless, we appreciate your work and your effort.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Well, thanks for the compliments - I try to get more men into the nursing programs - in this day and age of outsourcing and labile manufacturing jobs, at least nursing is somewhat stable and allows for people to move anywhere in the USA very easy.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

My wifes cousin was, at one time, a heavy duty mechanic/millwright. A very few years after he married an RN from (IIRC) Arizona - next thing I hear, he's a registered nurse as well and they are making their home somewhere near Ft Lauderdale.... Not bad for a small town boy from Alberta....

Jim Warman

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Ralph Snart" wrote

So now you get to deal with old men and their AICD's and Pacemakers who refuse to give up saturated fats and don't take their Lipitor or Zocor and seem to always forget their Nitro SL at home on the nightstand. These are the guys who drop dead in the checkout line at McDonalds or the local supermarket. Out of shear stupidity and blatant disregard for their own lives thinking they'll live forever :) Kinda sounds like a street racer don't it? It's a never ending cycle ain't it. heh

Reply to
Scott Williams

My SO is NASPExAM Certified and runs a pacer clinic for the number one Electrophysiology Office in Atlanta at Piedmont Hospital. Should hopefully explain my understanding... :)

Forgot to add this to my sigline also...

'94-'98 USAF Medical Services Journeyman

Reply to
Scott Williams

LoL, there is nothing lowly about being an RN! Every time I have looked for a job, everyone is SCREAMING for RN's. Thanks for the info, btw.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

I use to work at Providence Hospital in Columbia, SC - the cardiac hospital for the state of SC.

No matter how crusty cardiac patients can be, they don't hold a candle next to renal patients....

Reply to
Ralph Snart

"Ralph Snart" wrote

I'm really not being a smartass. but the preferred term in the industry is tissue and organ "recovery" or "recovered".

I've heard it myself. I became a Designated Requestor for Organs and Tissues in Feb of '02. You know that phone number you call when you have someone whose been declared brain dead or recently deceased? Yep, that's me. I'm the one who does the chart checks, looks at the labwork, makes lots of phone calls, and then if all looks good...I go talk to the family. I'm the one who asks them to donate; who gets chairs thrown at him; who gets cussed at; who fills out the consents and medical/social histories. And ultimately, I'm the one who sets up the team to come in and do the recovery. Talk about a hard job!

And the thing they grasp onto is that very fact! No matter what the situation. I've had mothers donate sons saying things like,"He never did a damn thing while he was alive, he's damn well gonna do some good now."

Me neither, and I do this for a living! But I've got two little girls under

  1. I really don't know if I could do it.

Yes, I was just trying to contrast the other situation with another group of stupid people who don't take care of business.

Reply to
Scott Williams

"Ralph Snart" wrote

I could never decide which I hated more. The Oncology unit, or the GI ward. I hate it when they go into DIC!!!!!

Reply to
Scott Williams

"Jim Warman" wrote

snip

What does this story have to do with street racing?

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

"180 Out" wrote

Well if you were paying attention, then you would have known we were talking about our commonalities relating to our experiences with dumbasses and street racing and how it effects those of us in the Emergency Medical profession. It was all pretty clear to me.

Reply to
Scott Williams

I believe that question was directed toward Jim.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

Using my previous post and regarding the conversation I was having with Jim. Kinda like someone getting into the middle of a conversation and not knowing what it's about cause they weren't their at the beginning. I chose to answer since I was directly involved.

Why do you care anyway? Just gotta put in your .02?

Reply to
Scott Williams

I was wondering the same thing. Why do you care that I might care?

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE