Front Rotors Replacement Question

Hello,

1996 GMC Suburban, K2500, 4X4, 3/4 Ton, 7.4LT engine.

Thinking of putting new front rotors, but I read somewhere this is not an easy job, and that some suspension parts must be removed before the rotors can be pulled out..

Is there any truth to this?

Thanks

Reply to
Anonymous

If this is like my 2000 K2500 P/U (old body style), then yes, the job was much easier by simply removing the whole steering knuckle from the truck. Undo the upper and lower ball joints, undo the tie rod end, a couple of good whacks with a heavy hammer on the side of the point where the ball joints enter the knuckle is all that is needed to get them free, DO NOT hit the ball joint or tie rod studs themselves, you will mushroom the stud and be in for some real problems then. Remove the knuckle assembly, pound out the wheel studs, use a brass drift, (spin the rotor as you puond them out, so they don't get stuck behind the rotor). Press the hub from the bearing, remove the rotor. Clean some of the old grease off and regrease, DO NOT let any dirt or rust get into the bearings.Reverse to reinstall. These things are very heavy, it helps to have two people to lift the knuckle back in place. DO NOT hit on the CV joint to try to reinstall, you may damage the boot! I found that whatever position the CV shaft lays in when the knuckle comes off, that is the position it will go back together the easiest. An extra floor jack under the lower control arm helps during the reinstall. There are some other steps obviously, like remove the caliper, undo the ABS sensor, straighten the dust sheild after reinstall, etc.. Don't bother cleaning the rotor until it is reinstalled on the truck, some good CRC brake clean and a CLEAN cloth. If done this way you can probably do the job in a couple of hours. HTH

Reply to
Wendy

you'll need to remove the nut in the center of the rotor and slide the axle shaft out. To do this, you need to unbolt the upper ball joint and separate the upper control arm from the spindle (after you remove the caliper).

Remove the four (4) bolts on the back side and the hub and rotor assembly will come off. Knock out all the studs and the rotor will separate. Then you're in business!

Not a bad job, just make sure you are careful to remove all the dirt/sand from the hub assembly and around the seal on the spindle upon reassembly.

Did I remember everything?

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

wrote

Not that I know of....and I've done plenty of these. You simply have to unbolt the rotor and wheel bearing hub as an assembly from the knuckle, and remove the axle shaft nut. You do "not" have to remove the axle shaft itself....just slide the rotor assembly off the shaft and out of the knuckle...making sure that you are careful with the speed sensor wiring. Once the assembly is out, you remove the wheel studs and the rotor will separate from the wheel bearing assembly. Note: when you are pounding out the wheel studs, be very careful that you don't wack off the speed sensor as it sits back behind the wheel studs.

Some other posters mention disconnecting ball joints..etc. Go there if you want a lot of extra work, but it's not necessary.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
johnny

Thank you very much for the tips. I will do the job next week and willl post the results.

Reply to
Anonymous

Great detailed instructions.

Thanks!

Reply to
Anonymous

Well, I did a 2wd, and the work itself was easy, but paying for parts sure hurt. (Stupid 2wd!!)

Reply to
Chevguy