Stumped 3.8 CFI will not start! help! (long)

Hello,

It's been a while since my last post :)

My daily driver 85 LTD (fox body) 3.8 CFI (191,000 miles) gave out on me on the way home the other day. On my way to work, all was fine until about an 8th of a mile from work, then it started bucking and shuddering like it was going to quit. It made it to work, I figured I worry about it after work. Well, after work, it started and drove fine until I got about 2 miles away and started bucking and shuttering badly (reguardless of throttle, I floored it, no change), I pulled on to a side street and it died. It wouldn't start again. There was no knocking or any other odd noises or smells before it gave out. It has gas, and is getting gas (I pulled the line off the throttle body and it squirts when I hit the key, also, I can see the injectors firing by looking down the barrels of the CFI). I put a spark tester on the coil, I had nothing. I replaced the coil, TFI module, and the pickup coil and now I have spark. I am certain that I got the distributor back in correctly after changing the pickup, as I marked its orientation. So right now I have spark and gas, but no vroom-vroom. I talked to a mechainc friend of mine, he said the exhaust might be plugged and to try temporarily taking out the 02 sensors to make an exhaust leak. I took out the driver side one (Houdini couldn't even reach the passenger side one!), no change. Here is the only wierd thing- if I hold the pedal to the floor while cranking, the cranking speeds up, and if I pump it real fast about 20 times while cranking (and then let off the starter) I can get it to sputter for about 4 seconds and die (no backfiring, just gu-glug-gu-glug-gu-glug-gu-dead). Spraying starting fluid ("ether" as some call it) in the CFI makes no difference. Any ideas? I am horribly broke (hence why I am even driving the old beast) and desperately need assistance.

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR