Things that make you feel old !

This spring a neighborhood skinny little kid came by to ask if he could mow my lawn.

I unfortunately had to say I use a lawn/yard service that does that, and much more for me (gutters, weeding, hedges, etc.).

And besides he looked to young to be pushing a lawn mower about.

I see him occasionally, wave, and we say hello, talk about the weather. He loves my '05 Mustang Conv.

Today he stopped over to show me his "new" '95 Mustang. His Dad said if he had a good driving record for a year, kept his grades up, and paid his own insurance, he could have one.

HE'S 17 !!!!!! I THOUGHT HE WAS ABOUT 12 !!!!! HE CAN DRIVE A CAR ???

(I kept my cool, didn't say anything, and didn't go inside screaming until after he left ;-)

- My first Mustang was a '66, it was new ;-)

Reply to
William Claude Dukenfield

I moved away from there in '98, but I used to live in a suburb of Dallas, TX. A rich suburb. Anyway, at that time, the gift a lot of high school graduates got was a new Mustang GT. It didn't seem quite right to me, but I guess that's because every car that I ever owned I had to work for. Whatever. BTW, my first car was a '66 Mustang. It was used, however. A warmed over '69 302 and a toploader four-speed was the drivetrain. It had the factory 140 MPH speedo and quite a few times I had it buried. Gawd, I hope my kids don't EVER do what I did......

Reply to
Kruse

My first car was a '63 Corvair Convt, GREAT car!

When my son turned 16 he wanted a Mustang or Camaro, remembering what I was like at his age, he got an old Caprice.

He cracked it up, and it probably saved his life.

Reply to
William Claude Dukenfield

William Claude Dukenfield

Nice story :)

Sooooo... maybe you should let the kid do your yardwork.. help him buy fuel and insurance for his Mustang Kate

"William Claude Dukenfield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : This spring a neighborhood skinny little kid came by to ask if he : could mow my lawn. : : I unfortunately had to say I use a lawn/yard service that does that, : and much more for me (gutters, weeding, hedges, etc.). : : And besides he looked to young to be pushing a lawn mower about. : : I see him occasionally, wave, and we say hello, talk about the : weather. He loves my '05 Mustang Conv. : : Today he stopped over to show me his "new" '95 Mustang. His Dad said : if he had a good driving record for a year, kept his grades up, and : paid his own insurance, he could have one. : : HE'S 17 !!!!!! I THOUGHT HE WAS ABOUT 12 !!!!! HE CAN DRIVE A CAR : ??? : : (I kept my cool, didn't say anything, and didn't go inside screaming : until after he left ;-) : : : - My first Mustang was a '66, it was new ;-) :

Reply to
SVTKate

The first time I was called "Sir" by a teenager. 8( That really made me feel old.

Alias

Reply to
Alias

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:55:57 -0500, William Claude Dukenfield wrote something wonderfully witty:

Hell if that is the only thing that makes you feel old you are a damn lucky man. Wanna buy a used back cheap?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

My grandparents next door neighbors came over from Italy. They opened a pizza place. Within one year, the had added a steak house, a shoe store, and a dress shop. Later they added another pizza place. They had three sons. The oldest a senior in high school, the second was a junior, and the third was 14. Within that first year the two older boys had brand new 'vettes (1966).... and the 14 year old had a custom El Camino he couldn't even drive, but he was out nearly every day washing and polishing it. Every time one of the older ones cracked up a car, the parents bought them a new one

My first real car was when I was 22, when I returned from Vietnam, I bought a 5 year old 65 Ford Mustang Fastback for $1000. And I had been working from the 4th grade on.... started with a TV Guide route, and worked up from there.

Seems like what you have to work and wait for you appreciate more.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Speech

Reply to
Spike

William Claude Dukenfield wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The best Corvairs were the 2nd gen. 1st gen cars had VW-style swing axles that were responsible in part for Ralph Nader's attack. The later cars ('65 and up) had Corvette-style independent rears which were awesome. I owned three of them at various times...

Here's a pretty decent Corvair link:

Joe

That one I got over. Sitting in a bar at LAX the cocktail waitress took my order and started to walk away.... stopped... came back and asked for identification. I passed it over... she looked at it and apologized. I was 30+ at the time. I told her not to apologize. When I was underage it was an "insult", but at my age (then) it was a compliment. She bought my drinks.... but she got a BIG tip.... : ) Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Speech

Reply to
Spike

I had something similar happen when I was about 35, being carded entering a night club. My wife claimed it was just to get me to come back.

Reply to
William Claude Dukenfield