Fixing T100 Interior Plastic Squeaks

I've recently purchased a '95 T100, and have spent a couple of grand restoring it to mechanical perfection. It's a great 4x4, and I'm really happy with my purchase.

I'm down to the last few "fix it" items, and have started working on the annoying (rather than mechanical) problems. It's got the extended cab, and there are some really loud squeaks coming from inside the walls of the truck on both sides of the back seat, right about where the back speakers would be (if I had any).

My daughter says it sounds just like a flock of geese flying over, when we're driving down a bumpy road, and that's actually a pretty accurate description. :-)

I am totally stumped as to how to take the plastic side walls off. The squeaks are coming from INSIDE the walls, so I imagine it's a plastic-on-plastic thing that could be easily remedied -- if only I could figure out how to get at 'em.

Any tips on how those plastic pieces come off?

Thanks!

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 Toyota T100 4x4 Extended Cab

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

If you don't get the proper answers...

techinfo.toyota.com is $10 for 24 hours of all you can download PDF's.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Thanks!

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 T100 4x4 Extended Cab

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Since you mentioned that the sound is coming from where the speakers would be, have you searched the net for any stereo speaker replacement info? Crutchfield and other sources have info on how to get at the radio and speakers in most vehicles.

Reply to
AndyK

Id get a nice wide wood chisel (the blunter the better for this task) and slowely pry the plastic back until you can see the mounts points for the plastic panel. Place the chisel as close as possible next to teh mount and pry the mount pin out. It sounds like theres a panel of some sort of part floating around there maybe where someone has pulled speakers out and left the old mounting harware there. Make sure that ALL screws are removed otherwiose you will break the panel easy as pie. You can buy trim removal tools but a small wide chisel does okay. As I dont know your vehicel I cant say exactly how to pull em out but if in doubt pop down to your local wrecking yard and pull one of thiers out so if it does break (and no-ones around) it doesnt cost anything. Best way to learn is on a scrapper. You get to do yours the best possible way then.

Hope that helps.

PS If theres any dash squeaks buy some tyre shine or silicon spray and squirt in all gaps around dash wiping off all excess, the silicon will slowely get its way into the gaps and stop the squeaks.

Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

Indeed it does. Thanks, Scotty!

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 T100 4x4 Extended Cab

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

What was the rattle?

Reply to
Scotty

Dunno yet. It's 5 below zero here -- I ain't gonna start ripping plastic panels off in *this* kind of cold...

;-)

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 T100 4x4 Extended Cab

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Aww, that's why they invented the Radiant Heater and the Garage.

(Heck, you shoulda heard the screaming just for getting below 32F here for several days - But don't worry, you'll be getting a reminder for a year every time you go to buy Orange Juice or Avocados...) :-(

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

No worries here, avos about $1.30 each and OJ, well plentiful thanks.

Oh and to boot the current daily temp is around 31 deg C.

Lovely.

Reply to
Scotty

Did you ever find out what it was? Been catching up on T100 articles. I'm from Iowa too, south and west of Ottumwa. Not anymore though, Too darn cold in the winter.

Brian '95 T100, 4X4, 148k

No worries here, avos about $1.30 each and OJ, well plentiful thanks.

Oh and to boot the current daily temp is around 31 deg C.

Lovely.

Reply to
Psych

Never mind Mr. Honeck. Found your other messages and your website.

Brian

Did you ever find out what it was? Been catching up on T100 articles. I'm from Iowa too, south and west of Ottumwa. Not anymore though, Too darn cold in the winter.

Brian '95 T100, 4X4, 148k

No worries here, avos about $1.30 each and OJ, well plentiful thanks.

Oh and to boot the current daily temp is around 31 deg C.

Lovely.

Reply to
Psych

Actually, I never have found the fix for the squeaks.

The underlying "cause" is an oscillation in the rear end which causes the truck to "shake" back and forth very slightly, but enough to make the plastic rub. It's not the tires, and it's not the drive shaft -- we think it might be a wheel bearing going bad.

Don't know, and it's too subtle for my mechanic to diagnose. On the hoist, it makes no noise or vibration...

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 T100 4x4 Extended Cab

189K miles
"Your Aviation Destination"
Reply to
Jay Honeck

Mine clatters, bangs, vibrates, sqeaks,,,,,,, Turn the radio up! I just like driving this PAID IN FULL truck.

Actually, I never have found the fix for the squeaks.

The underlying "cause" is an oscillation in the rear end which causes the truck to "shake" back and forth very slightly, but enough to make the plastic rub. It's not the tires, and it's not the drive shaft -- we think it might be a wheel bearing going bad.

Don't know, and it's too subtle for my mechanic to diagnose. On the hoist, it makes no noise or vibration...

Reply to
Psych

LOL! Yeah, it is nice to have a knock-around, paid-in-full truck.

However, I've come to like it so much that I've gone down the "let's make it perfect" road to fixing it up. Big mistake, I know, but it really is an outstanding truck.

If I could resolve the rear-end shimmy in this thing, it really would be "good as new"...

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 Toyota T100 4x4 Extended Cab

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

I have that shimmy too. But I think mine is the tires. Didn't do it on the last batch of tires. Can't convince the MFG of the tires though. Not too bad.

LOL! Yeah, it is nice to have a knock-around, paid-in-full truck.

However, I've come to like it so much that I've gone down the "let's make it perfect" road to fixing it up. Big mistake, I know, but it really is an outstanding truck.

If I could resolve the rear-end shimmy in this thing, it really would be "good as new"...

Reply to
Psych

I've thought of tires, but mine are brand new. I know they can be "out of round" straight from the factory, though...

Maybe I'll have another shop spin-balance them. It really DOES feel like an unbalanced tire.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 T100 4x4 Extended Cab

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Scotty, The cover on my passenger side air bag ('03 Taco) squeaks like crazy while driving and even when sitting still you can push on it and replicate the sound. Would dropping in some silicone help this? I was thinking of taking it into the dealer for a look-see. H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

Hmmm, air bags are one to stay away from silicon sprays etc as it may degrade the bad on contact (or not). If tend to get some weather seal (Furry one side sticky the other) and gently place around the bag front facia (if thats whats squeaking) not a lot is required try small peices first.

Reply to
Scotty