type of 351?

What 351 engine is the best to put into a 1967 mustang? I'm looking to get

350 to 400 hp out of it. Is there a better model of 351(cleveland,windsor,M) if so is there a better year to look for?
Reply to
Scott Jones

351(cleveland,windsor,M)
Reply to
Hugh Garrison

Here is an example:

1970 Mustang Mach I 351C stroked to 377 CID Edelbrock Performer intake manifold Holley 750 CFM 4 barrel carburator Custom made headers 4 speed close ratio Top-Loader 3.50:1 limited slip (Traction-Lok) diff

340 HP @ 5,000 RPM (rear wheels)

400 ft lb torque @ 3,300 RPM

As a friend of mine says, "That's some tree-stump pullin' torque"...

351(cleveland,windsor,M)
Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

that needs some better heads or at the very least a bigger cam. She starving for air.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

This engine has Cleveland 4V heads featuring HUGE valves and ports (~2.19" intake and ~1.71" exhaust valves). The heads are what made this engine the powerhouse that it is.

Not sure what heads you would be referring to as "better".

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

IMO that should be making more power on top than it is. Peaking at 340 hp @

5000 rpm is really low espesacliy for 4v heads. The 4v heads should be pulling a lot higher rpms. What size is your cam?

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

I'm pretty sure that's the hp at the wheels he's quoting... quite different than at the crank, or net, or gross....

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

351(cleveland,windsor,M)

since no 351's were installed in 67 the choice is yours,IMO the 351W is your best bet after the 289/302,the 351W is basically a bigger/wider 302, next choice is 351C 2V or 4V version, they were built from 70-74 and have the 302/351W engine to bellhousing bolt pattern and engine mounts. The 351M or 400 is the least practical choice, they are similar to the 351C but they are wider/taller and have unique engine mounts and the 429-460 C6 bellhousing bolt patern.

Reply to
winze

Typicaly a manual tranny will lose between 10-15% in the drive line while an auto is 15-20%. That puts you around 385 hp at the crank.

After rereading your description I saw whats killing your top end ---Edelbrock Performer intake manifold---

swap that for a good single plane and then watch it turn the rpms. :)

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

If the car is set-up for an FE big block, and for some reason the OP MUST have a 351, the 352 ci FE shares the same 4" bore 3.5" stroke as the 351W, 351C, & 351M... all 4 engines displace 351.86 ci.

The old original 352 is the one that actually represents it's displacement most accurately.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"trainfan1" wrote

And it's a boat anchor. Though I've heard of some turning them into 427's. The only problem then is you can shine a flashlight down a cylinder and the block lights up like a Chinese lantern. :)

Reply to
Scott Williams

Right, 427 is pushing it. They make nice serviceable 390's, though. And they're heavy... but he wants a 351...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Been there done that.

Had a Torker 351 and swapped it out. The single plane was a not friendly for daily street driving.

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Thats surprising. A buddy of mine ran a Torker on a 351c in a 73 stang that didn't make as much power as yours and didn't have any problems on the street. He did have a 3.90 gear, but the 73 is bigger than a 70 too.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG