"Uneven" 73 Mach I

Any one else have a '73 Mach I and does yours seem to sit up a bit more in the front end than the back end? This si something I"ve always noticed with my car. I've seen other Mach I's and they all seem to be "level", but mine seems higher in the front than the rear. Any possible explanations/solutions for this?

Also, this is probably going to be an odd question, but I'm trying to price tires for my car, but I don't remember the size and me and the car are not in the same place, so I can't just go out and read it off the existing ones, anyone know what the stock size tire for a '73 Mach I Mustang is?

Thanks,

B-Worthey

Reply to
Brian Worthey

Sounds like time to replace the rear springs, and probably the fronts to at that age. :)

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Sounds reasonable, but the car has always been that way, I guess I never thought anything was wrong with it, maybe the springs have always needed replacing. My dad has had the car since about '77 or '78, and from then its always looked that way, but anyway, like I said, maybe they've always needed replacing.

B-Worthey

Reply to
Brian Worthey

The styling of that vintage of Mustang was supposed to accentuate the rise of the front fenders then the low waistline and the upturn at the rear fender. If you ever see the styling clays of them you'll see what I mean. Having said that the "street" fashion ( pardon my turn of phrase) in the early '70s was to jack the back end up making the Sporstroof's rear window more like it's roof. I guess the real measurement would be the ground clearance. If the rocker panels are the same distance from level ground at the front and rear wheels then the car would be considered at it's stock attitude. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

It has the 351 Cleveland in it, right?

My 302 had the same problem, and I was told that the springs might have been replaced incorrectly to compensate for a cleveland engine that wasn't there (the 302 is lighter i suppose, although I couldn't imagine it being much of a difference).

- nick

Reply to
Nick D.

I had this problem with my '73 Mach 1. The rear leafs sag after a while. Your car is probably due for a nice set of springs & shocks. That fixed mine right up.

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Victor DiMichina

No, mine has the 302. Do you have any pics of yours? I'd like to see it!

B-Worthey

Reply to
Brian Worthey

i agree that you probably just need to replace the sagging leaf springs out back

Reply to
Noah

[modesty on] Sure thing I guess!

off]