Water leak in taillight housing.

Group,

I have an 01 Mustang that has developed a water leak in the left taillight housing. Water condenses on the inside of the housing. I cannot find a crack anywhere with it mounted in the body. I think the housing is going to have to come out.

Pulling back the trunk liner I see four bolts with nuts. Is this what holds the housing in the body ?

Hopefully I can find and repair a crack or mis-sealed area and not have to replace the whole housing which I figure is not cheap !!

Thanks in advance.

Des, the Elder.

Reply to
Des the Elder

There should be about 6 bolts holding it on, two on the side of the rear quarter and four at the rear. Disconnect your wiring harness and be kind of careful to avoid breaking the bolts out of the plastic housing and scratching the paint when you slide it out.

One way to check for leaks is by using compressed air. Like feeling for a leak in an innertube. Filling it with water to see if it pours out is a bad idea because the water will dry, leaving spots and streaks that you cannot get out. I don't know if you could use rubbing alcohol but it's a thought...

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Yup, Des,

The seal around the lense has 'done let-go' and the water comes on in. I am on my third taillight assembly and one headlight assembly on my Fords.

It's four nuts that come off and then there is a little snap on retainer on at least one of them which is a bear to get off the stud. unscrew the bulb sockets from the assembly and pull the cable posts out so you can get the entire housing off the car.

I would recomend drying the interior with a hair dryer blowing inside through a light socket hole for a while. Then take some RTV Silicone and go around the outside edge where the lense attaches housing. SVT Kate is right about the water spots if you check it with water inside. Pressurizing will not work because the leaks are way too small to notice.

Good Luck.

Paul

Reply to
GPF

I had the same problem. After the 3rd tail light assembly (drivers side), I bought some Silicone RTV and sealed the entire edge of the tail light assembly. No leaks since.........

Reply to
Name withheld by request