Mondeo - Water in Boot

I have a Mondeo with a wet boot. I have traced this to a leak around the O/S rear light cluster. I have tried re-sealing this with silicone sealant, but am told this will be un-successful. Has anyone any experience to offer on this problem?

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul Frost

well a boot is a trunk in england??? and a mondeo is a contour in england??? if so then go to

and ask the same question, its a pretty good web site for contours and you will probably get a good answer... hope this helps mate.....

Reply to
jim

I had a problem with water getting into the light cluster itself ford contour. Someone scraped the side of the car a bit, including the red plastic in the cluster (the one on the side). Eventually, a little crack developed, and water got in through the crack. I just got some clue (called Crazy Glue in the US) and sealed the crack. No problems since then.

If your cluster is like mine, there are three bolts holding it on. The seal between the cluster and the body looks pretty good and is the only place where water could get inside. I would imagine that silicone would work pretty good. You might also be able to go to a car recycling facility (also known as a junk yard in the US) and get a cluster from another car.

The other thought I have that is the seal lasts a while (say 6 months), you might get away with just resealing it every 4 months or so. Cheaper than a new cluster.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff