What makes a Mach 1 a Mach 1?

Is it a certain combination of options, like:

sportsroof body style bench seats knitted vinyl interior V-8

What else?

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If you're talking about the current Mach 1 as opposed to the original, it's a package. You get a better motor with a real hood scoop, some body stuff, wheels, and a few other odds-'n'-ends. It's definitely a neat car.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Daktota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

What year? Remember the mach 1 was made right till the last year of the Mustang II.

1970s they gave them a proper model code "05" in the VIN. They had rear sway bars and they also had deluxe interiors with rallye clock. Sport lamps and a spoiler, honeycomb applique on the transom and cast alloy rocker molding with mach 1 script. A CJ style scoop ( unless equipped with a ram air shaker) and special striping in black or white and twist off hood pins. No bench seat, I take it you meant buckets.... StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Yeah, I meant the mach 1's back in '69 and '70 and bucket seats. Don't know why I typed bench.

Reply to
John

What you actually get is the same exact motor, brakes and suspension as a Cobra w/out the supercharger....I'd call that more than "a few other odds 'n' ends.

Reply to
Iggy

Well in '69 it was more like a package, it essentially replaced the GT in mid year 1969( many people don't realize there was GT Mustangs in '69 as they are very rare). The '69 had the deluxe interior with the high back knit seats ( regular 'stangs had headrests that year) and had it's own reflective side graphics package along with a black out hood and lanyard style hood pins and a CJ style scoop. IIRC they had a blackout grill that differed from the regular pony's too. They also came with styled steel wheels ( the '70's got mag style hupcaps standard) and both years had colour keyed sport mirrors. Oh, and pop off gas caps too. Base motor was a 351W 2v for both years but the Cleveland could be had starting in 1970. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

The new mach doesn't have IRS???? StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Hmmm.... not quite Iggy. The Cobra has an iron block with forged internals while the Mach has an aluminum block, hypereutectic pistons, standard rods, and certainly a different compression ratio and is available with an AODE. The Cobra sports an IRS while the Mach is a solid rear. The brakes may be the same though. The current Mach is is more like a 96-98 Cobra suspension and drivetrain package (except for the optional AODE) with a motor from an '01 Cobra.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

I did a mild search on the web, but can someone explain the difference between and AOD and a AODE?? thanks much!

Brandon

----- Original Message ----- From:

Reply to
indi

wrote

AND...The Cobra is still "handbuilt" by two techs who then sign the motor, while the Mach 1 motor is assembled on the line like all the other 4.6's.

Scott W. '66 HCS '68 'Chero 500 '68 Fury III

Reply to
66 6F HCS

You have to have a computer for the AODE. The AOD doesn't use one.

Scott W. '66 HCS '68 'Chero 500 '68 Fury III

Reply to
66 6F HCS

For 1969 a 63C body code denotes a Mach 1.

had headrests that

grill that differed

and pop off gas

be had starting

Reply to
Merc

Nope, not quite. The MACh 1 has a different block from either the

96-98 Cobra and the 01 Cobra. It also has different heads and different cams from both of these mills.

Here are the specs.

Happy Camper

Thanks, I couldn't remember the body/trim code... StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

The 1970 model Mach I featured the following:

STANDARD EQPT

- Sportsroof body

- Engine: 351W

- Trans: 3-speed manual

- Competition suspension (heavier springs, shocks, front and rear sway bars)

- Deluxe interior with center console, Rim-Blow steering wheel, electric clock, knitted vinyl high-back bucket seats

- Non functional hood scoop

- Color keyed dual racing mirrors

- Twist type hood latches

- Center of hood painted either black or white, with tape stripe border and engine size numerals

- Grille mounted sportlamps

- Honeycomb rear panel with tape stripe on rear deck lid and dye cast "Mach

1"

- Dual exhaust system with chrome oval extensions(optional engines only)

- Die-cast center deep dish sports wheel covers

- Pop-open gas cap

- Aluminum Mach 1 rocker panel molding

- E70x14 WSW tires (F70x14 RWL on 428CJ)

OPTIONAL EQPT

- Engines: 351C, 428CJ

- Trans: 4 speed wide ratio or 4 speed close ratio with "Hurst" shifter or a

3 speed automatic

- Functional "Shaker" hood scoop with 351 engines

- Traction-Lok limited slip differential

- Drag Pack (includes 428SCJ Ram Air Engine, "Shaker" hook scoop, 3.91:1 or

4.30:1 "Detroit Locker" (no-spin) diff, engine oil cooler)

- Rear deck spoiler

- Power disc brakes

- Power steering

- Air conditioning

- Fold-down rear seat

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Tom,

And you're close. Here is further clarification.

The Mach 1's motor, despite what many people think, is not the same as what came in the '96-'98 Cobras, and it is even different from the '99-'01 Cobras. The Mach 1's cylinder heads are the same as the high-flow '03-'04 Cobra heads. The Mach 1's intake cams are also different from the earlier quad-cam Cobras; the intake cams were snagged from the 5.4 Navigator and while they sport the same lift as the '01 Cobra's cams, the overlap and duration are different. The Mach 1's compression is 10:0.1 vs 9.85 of the earlier DOHCs, and the '03-'04 Cobras' 8.5:1. The exhaust manifolds are new and are port matched to the heads. The aluminum intake, while similar to the '99-'01 Cobra, is unique to the Mach 1 too.

Mach 1's numbers:

310HP for the stick version 308HP for the automatic

While the Mach 1's horsepower numbers are advertised lower than the '01 Cobra, the Mach 1 actually makes more power and is the quickest/fastest normally aspirated 4 valve Mustang to date.

The Mach 1, and '99-'04 Cobras, and for that matter the '00 Bullitt, all share the same PBR brakes. The specs are 13.0" up front and 11.7 rear. The standard GT also has 13.0s up front, but has smaller 10.5s in the back.

Last note: The '03-'04 Cobra sport a 6 speed manual while, like you mentioned, the Mach 1 has choice of an automatic and only a 5-speed trans.

Hope this helps,

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

---- snip ----

Yeah, I knew it wasn't exact. Given the context of Iggy's assertion, my point was that it's more like what I described than what Iggy described. At any rate I'd damn sure like to have one!

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

The 96-98 Cobra is basically a GT with a bigger engine and bigger brakes. I own a '97 Cobra and the thing definately doesn't handle like a sports car (subs not installed yet though), and no better than my brother's '97 GT. JD Adams had a chart that showed the springs to be the same rate. The swaybars were slightly bigger, if I remember correctly. Doesn't matter, the stock rear one broke and now there's an '83 sway bar in its place.

In any event, the Mach 1 has a redesigned suspension system (think Bullit only tweaked for the heavier DOHC engine). The Mach 1's DOHC also benefitted from improved bottom end torque, meaning that while this is essentially the same engine as is in the '01 Cobra, it gets motivated better down low, producing some pretty good times at the track. My '97 needs to be revved up to make any amount of power... it's just a baby down low. A new

260hp GT will beat me 0-60 according to Ford's literature because of the soft bottom end torque of the DOHCs. I read somewhere that the Mach 1 heads were redesigned much like the '99 GT's to improve that situation.

HTH,

JS

Reply to
JS