65-66 Horn ring Removal

Hi there,

I need to memove the horn ring from the steering wheel in order to remove the steering from the steering column. Any ideas?

Kind regards Amar (SA)

Reply to
Jeffery

My kids' '65 has the standard steering wheel. Don't know about any others, but for this one you disconnect the battery and push *hard* on the hub and rotate counterclockwise. The horn ring is held in place with 3 or 4 L-shaped fingers that mate to a nylon ring screwed to the steering wheel itself.

180 Out

Jeffery wrote:

Reply to
one80out

2 sticks of dynamite usually will remove the horn ring and steering wheel l
Reply to
walt peifer

also consider the "ford wrench" a must have to remove the steering wheel.

Reply to
DRAGNET

Push in, rotate Anti-clockwise {heh}

THEN... loosen center nut on steering shaft spin it out to flat with end of shaft, small block of hardwood over it, brace knees under lower rim of wheel, pull on top of wheel with one hand while whapping with 'fordwrench' with the other.

Note 'whapping' ? not tapping, but not BANGING... medium effort

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic