Windsor or Romeo

I read in MM&FF that the 4.6 engines are assembled in either the Windsor or Romeo plants. That the way to diffentiate between them is by the timing gears on the camshafts, one is press on the other is not.

Is there another way? serial number maybe? Seems like a lot of work just to determine the engine origin.

Reply to
Jafo

I thought they could be distinguished by year of production.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Well somewhere on the casting is most likely an emblem that is a foundry mark. Where? Beats the hell outta me! STuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Check out this page. You should be able to figure it out.

Gill

There's an engine identification tag on the valve covers, usually. Unless someone's ripped them off or replaced the covers with some of the tacky new aftermarket parts. One will say WEP (Windsor Engine Plant) and the other will say REP (Romeo Engine Plant).

Romeo engines are also 6-bolt cranks and Windsor engines are 8-bolt cranks.

Good thread on all of this over at Corral, here...

HTH

Reply to
Tungsten