x pipe versus h pipe

which one is better. power and sound for my 97 cobra

Reply to
cobra boy

X pipes are better for top end power, and H pipes make better low end torque. As for sound thats strickly a matter of taste.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

V'ger

1965 Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black A Code 4 spd 1966 Fastback 2+2 White w/Red C Code Auto
Reply to
V'ger

You'll use the bottom end torque much more often - around town, accelerating onto a highway, etc. The top end horsepower will probably help you win more races when you're winding the car to its redline, but you'll lose a bit of the bottom end punch.

Big blocks are torque monsters. NA 4 cylinders can have just as much horsepower but you typically have to spin them to the moon. Does that help clarify anything?

I'd say if most of your cruising is around town, go for the H-pipe. It'll help you get out of the hole a little better too...

JS

Reply to
JS

As they say, it's as clear as mud but it covers the ground.... but seriously, if I catch your drift, go with the H pipe and grab the low end torque unless I plan to race circuits, etc....

I thank you much.... slowly I learn something new each day.

Dave

V'ger

1965 Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black A Code 4 spd 1966 Fastback 2+2 White w/Red C Code Auto
Reply to
V'ger

I would, but that's me. You'll use the torque a lot more often, and you may still gain some top-end HP over a stock-style exhaust system, albeit not as much as you might with the X.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
cobra boy

With an auto I'd go with the H pipe. This is a matter of taste as well, but in an older Mustang I'd go with the H pipe for its sound as well. An older stang with an X just wouldn't sound right IMO. The H pipe will make the 289 sound a little "bigger" than it is, and an x pipe will give it a high texh scream when it gets up in the rpm range. Over all there is not a huge differance in power between the two so you can let the sound be your guide if you want. I went with an X on my 95 because it fits the the newer style cars. It will be real interesting when I get my 351w done to see how that sounds with an X

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

V'ger

1965 Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black A Code 4 spd 1966 Fastback 2+2 White w/Red C Code Auto
Reply to
V'ger

Reply to
cobra boy

Heh, I resemble that remark. Just bought me a classic MoPar Lead Sled. '68 Plymouth Fury III 2 door with a BB 383, 727 Torqueflite and highway gears in the rear.

Reply to
Scott Williams