350Z Owners - Do You Think The Ride Is Too Harsh?

Hi Y'all,

I have had my 350Z for about a year, and truly love everything about this car - except one. I feel that the ride is just too harsh. I constantly feel every little bump and pebble in the road, and when I drive over train tracks or cobblestones, my passengers teeth rattle. I have two questions about this.

First, is the extremely stiff and harsh ride common to all sports cars? If anyone has ridden in a Corvette, BMW Z4, or Honda S2000 I would like to know how they compare on the road.

Second, I was wondering if anybody has corrected the harshness by replacing the shocks, springs, tires, etc. What has worked for you? I really feel that this Nissan screwed up the suspension of the 350Z, and should be responsible for making corrections.

Thanks, KG

Reply to
KG

It's common to all cars using large wheels with ultra low profile tires. What they "screwed up" was going with the -rice boy- look with giant wheels and super low profile tires. You cannot get that combo to ride smooth without making the susp extra mushy. Seen people "upgrade" older z's and it does the same thing to them, makes a smooth riding, good performing car feel every bump in the road.

There might be some tires that flex a bit more that would help? That's what I'd be looking into.

Reply to
Steve

First of all there are no rice boys here. When gas cost as much as it does fuel efficiency is a good thing,

As for your 350Z I was under the impression that the different models had different springs with different ride qualities. If this is true it might be worth investigating. If that does not work try a set of progressive rate springs and shocks or a set of adjustable shocks. Generally they allow enough movement of the suspension at low speeds to be comfortable, but at higher speeds they stiffen up for highway use. I have a 300Z who's suspension behaves this way. I have driven a 300Z TT with a modified suspension that was hard like a rock, the owner replaced the adjustable shocks with a single rate shock that was too stiff. Another side affect was squealing of the tires in turns at relatively low speeds. The shocks would not allow enough movement for the suspension geometry to act right in the turns. My Z would be faster in the curves than the modified TT.

Reply to
Levance

Did you do it all at once? If not, which seemed to help the ride more? Just wondering, TIA

Reply to
Steve

Thanx.

Reply to
Steve

I dont want to be rude at all but why did you by a Z? this isnt a civic or Integra that "looks" sporty. its a sports car. If you have soft suppen'. and fat tires you will roll and kill yourself in a turn. what you want is what ford did to the mustang. soft ride but fast. But in a mustang dont turn fast. you will die.

but on the other side have you ever driven a FX? handles just like the Z. and it is a softer ride. so maybe you can have a suppension package that works on both levels.

peace.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Very good response. Finally someone who knows cars besides racism.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Rubber makes or breaks the vibration Even on my 280Z, When I bought a set of Michelin XWX VR70 rated a long time ago, they were completly different from H rated tires. For the extra speed rating they make the tire very stiff. The newer xtreme low profiles add to the stiffness. My MXV4 HR70's I now drive on are tame compared to the XWX's. The old

280z's had a very loose suspension. I added Addco anti-sway bars and Koni shocks, and it beefed it up the suspension, but the tires were the key to that road feel. I don't think a person would want to change the wheel tire combo on the 350Z, but think about it.

greg

Reply to
gregs

Corvettes are AWFUL as far as the ride.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. Now I don't feel so bad about the harsh ride of my Z.

Reply to
KG