93 300TT gas smell

My '93 TT (5-spd) smells of gasoline for about 3 weeks, particularly in the cabin (cockpit?) and particularly at start-up and for the ensuing hour or two. Gas mileage seems undiminished and I see no puddles under the engine after overnite in my garage. I wonder whether my turbo boost meter is bobbing as high as it used to on demand for high acceleration, but I've always felt it was stingey. I can't urge it higher than a brief touch at under +7 psi (and 3.5 to 4 would probably be more honest).

I recall seeing someone's website describe the not-uncommon causes and remedies for the gas smell, the places to tighten up, etc.

Could you hazard an opinion on whether this gas "leak" is related to my suspected-turbo weakness, and/or refer me to some advice on finding ands fixing it?

Thanks very much, Pham

Reply to
Pham

Check the hoses at the pressure regulator and fuel dampener on the engine or better yet go ahead and replace them. Make sure you use some high pressure "injection" rated fuel hose. This is the most common leak and does happen when the engine is cold.

Reply to
Steve T

"...the hoses at the pressure regulator and fuel dampener..."

-Steve

Where would I find these, Steve?

Reply to
Pham

Stop driving your car and do some reading.

You'll learn plenty on this site.

I'd start with the FAQ and the "search" function.

Dustin

Reply to
Me

They are the rubber fuel hoses on the engine you can see.... These two devices look like small cans with 2 fuel lines and a vacumm line on them.

Reply to
Steve T

Hey, no problem... I never drive while reading! Thanks for the links, though, I will read up. It IS sad that I don't deserve this car (as I sense you agree) but I have no others to use while I baby my Z... it has to be my vehicle even tho I want it to be a toy as well. God, I wish I could entrust its innards to local guy I could trust and afford. I also wish it were fall instead of summer and that I were 35 and not 53. "Life sux, & then ya die."

Me wrote:

Reply to
Pham

It's not that I think you don't deserve the car, I just don't want it to catch fire.

Dustin

Reply to
Me

For some reason this didn't get posted after I sent it 24 hours ago, so I repost to Dustin

-Pham ========================================

That woke me up. I went straight to work too. I found the leak (tho not where the website had predicted) and fixed it with one of those braces (don't know the name of the strip of perforated metal looped upon itself to passs thru a slit thru which it advaces by turning a screw.) Thanks for motivating me, you were quite right to try alarm me.

-Pham

Me wrote:

Reply to
Pham

Hose clamp.

Typically use to clamp radiator hoses to their flanges. However they have many uses and come in many sizes.

Reply to
Big G

I'm glad to hear you fixed it, and glad to hear you fixed it yourself. Sorry I didn't address your lack of boost in your original post. You might start with the "What causes safety boost?" section on

Another good starting point is doing the ECU diagnostics to see if your car is throwing any codes. You can run the diagnostic yourself.....it's also in the FAQ.

Dustin

Reply to
Me

fixed it yourself. Sorry I didn't

with the "What causes

Another good

throwing any codes. You

Thanks so much to you & Big G, Dustin: the FAQ looks sweet and complete too. I'll put a few of the more obvious concerns on my "to do" list- tho I am a winter guy who suffers mightily in the summer humid heat and may put stuff off until October if I can.

BTW, I don't think my 300TT '93 does have the electronic (?ECU) options open to me. More's the pity- I think the next model year saw a good interface as a standard feature - tho I'm sure they never imagined that it'd be of interest to plain hoi polloi back then! My recollection was of a "Electronics Package" which I did opt for (at considerable extra cost) and it provided ... get this: a slight green glowing of the outside door key insertion slot to enable unlock at night (no chirping key rings then!) and also the wonderfully comfy power-adjusted driver seat. That was high tech in 11/92!

If you know I'm mistaken about an interface I can access (without taking out a second mortgage) please send me a correction! Thanks, "Pham" (Dean) DASatDRNOSEdotNET

PS Do members of this NG have preferences abt top vs bottom posting ?

Reply to
Pham

Always bottom post (or interleave) and snip away the text that doesn't apply to your answer. No one in any group will ever complain if you post that way.

Reply to
Steve T