'93 Quest - Gas smell in car

I've got a '93 Quest... light smell of gas in the car all the time.

I definitely had some issues with the lines at the tank and the vent hose. I had the dealer do the recall on the vent hose. I had to do the fuel pump too so I replaced all the hoses on the tank at that point. That stopped 95% of the problem but there is still a light scent of gas coming from somewhere. No obvious leaks, fuel filter hoses are good and tight, I can't actually feel any moisture on anything.

Where next ?

Reply to
Bob

Its probably coming in form the engine compartment via the ventilation system. Check everything back from the injector rails. We started getting a slight gas smell in the '91 240sx and it turned out to be a failing piece of hose at the bottom of the fuel filter. It looked OK until I took off the filter and flexed the hose. Then the cracks showed up in the bend of the hose. The smell was gone once that hunk of hose was changed out.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Good idea. I'll change all the hoses in the engine compartment as soon as the temp gets over 20 degrees. It can't hurt and perhaps there is something hidden as you mentioned.

Anyone know of anything specific on a Quest to look for ?

Reply to
Bob

Something else you might want to have looked at is the exhaust manifold.

I have a '99 Villager and it had the same problem - gas smell in the cockpit

- took it to the dealer and was told that the exhaust manifold gaskets/studs were notorious for giving out on these vehicles. Usually it is on the rear of the engine by the air intake so you will smell everything.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
cmvogt