Smell of gasoline

For the past few weeks, I occasionally notice this when in or around my '01 OBW. Took it to the dealer, who asked if the heat was on (yes) at these times, set to recirculate air (no). They found a leaking head gasket and replaced it. I still smell gas. Whether car is warmed up or not. Sounds funny but I notice it more after making a left turn. No puddles under the car. I looked underneath with a flashlight, no evidence. I'm going to take it back in; can you think of anything I could suggest? Thanks!

Reply to
John Rethorst

First of all, exhaust gas or gasoline?

If it's exhaust gas, you need to have the exhaust systems checked.

If it's gasoline, check the fuel rails, the fuel filter and the charcoal canister.

I had a Ford Taurus that had a very strong gasoline smell and I tracked it back to a cracked charcoal canister.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

spilled some gasoline while filling up (fill up too much gasoline) ?

It happened once to me and I smelled gasoline for at least 3 weeks.

A leaking head gasket never cause such a smell so far I know.....

Wilco

"John Rethorst" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com...

Reply to
Wilco van Diest

No.

Gasoline. Smells nothing like exhaust. The dealer said that coolant leaking from the gasket could smell similar. I think I could tell the difference though.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Did you pay for a HG replacement? If so, get your money back. If not bring car back in

Reply to
jabario

It was a warranty repair; the service manager said that the leaking coolant could smell similar to gasoline. I can tell the difference between them, but since they found a leaking gasket I let them replace it. I still have the problem.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Just had to replace the filler neck on mine. This also involves some clamps and a rubber connecter to connect the filler neck to the tank. Perhaps there is a loose clam or a crack in the rubber. Do you notice the smell as much before you need to fill up? You say you notice it after taking a left turn. When you turn left, gas is moved to the right from the tank into the filler neck.

Just a thought.

Reply to
John

what was the weather like when you smelled gas?

there's a tsb for leaking gas lines on the 2002 wrx, which calls for replacing a metal line and a rubber hose. but the intake manifold has to come off first! if the work isn't covered under warranty, it can be quite expensive to change two lousy little parts.

most people report the problem only in cold weather, while the engine is still cold. (in my case -25° c.) i would guess that the aluminum tube contracts a lot more than the steel clamp holding it, which leaves a gap until the engine warms up a bit.

to make matters worse, most people (including me) put on the heater full blast to clear the windshield. but you can't use recycled air for defrost - the controls force you to use outside air, and the heater air intake is almost directly above that gas line connection.

....... tom kle> For the past few weeks, I occasionally notice this when in or around my

Reply to
tom

Reply to
Peter Stathis

Yes it was, and I appreciate it. Thanks!

I'll look at that.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Reply to
W Bruins

Darn. I thought this thread was going to be about the smell of gasoline. When I was a kid back in the 60s I used to like the smell of gas. (No, I wasn't sniffing it or anything.) Now it doesn't smell as good as it used to. Or maybe I've changed.

Reply to
P T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (P T) wrote in news:17022-4226A52B-167@storefull-

3136.bay.webtv.net:

Nah, you're still the same. It's just that the additives used in modern gas, such as MTBE, stink. Lead has no smell at all.

Reply to
Larry Weil