1989 nissan 240sx SOHC

I got kinda of a problem, i replaced my timing gear and chain.Well when i went to go put antifreeze into the radiator it went straight down to the oil pan can some one help me with this problem or some advice??

Joe

Reply to
Leonard Edwards

I don't know about your model of engine, but it sounds like a gasket was missed out when replacing the timing cover

My Nissan is a different earlier model, but I know that the timing cover has common points with the water system and the oil system

Perhaps you forgot a gasket, or on re-assembly it might have got, distorted, crushed, crimped, or slipped out of place

Note, please wait for someone wiser than me, to give a second opinion, before stripping it all down again though !

HTH

Spam-block in action

Catherine Jemma.......(Keeper of The Gem of Amara) Outback Western Australia .... snipped-for-privacy@agn.net.au.knickers

(Remove knickers before replying)

Reply to
Catherine Jemma

Well I just went this route (pulling front cover and replacing timing components about a week or so ago. When you checked the front cover was it cracked or possibly did it have scuff marks from the timing chain hitting it. My cover was worn and scuffed from a worn chain and tensioner assembly that it was like paper in one area, that if it was not replaced could have had potential for leaking through from coolant passageways to oil. BTW your motor is (if original stock) a KA24E

Its either going to be the way you sealed the front cover or a crack in the cover itself. ONly seals involved are the front main crank seal, and the 2 small oil seals from the oil pump to filter block seals, which should not have any effect on coolant / oil mixing together. The rest of the sealing is accomplished with RTV. I assume you did put a sufficient bead of RTV on ALL of the machined surfaces of the front cover.....????? This would be my opinion on the leak, as being the prime suspect... improper sealing with RTV

I assume you did not get any of the hoses mixed up, as on the left side there are 2 hoses of smaller dimension, and depending on what you took apart, may have gotten the hose from the PCV valve somehow hooked to the water inlet block assembly behind the thermostat housing....(just a guess on this one)

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer