1989 Nissan Sentra Diagnostic Codes

Engine is getting too much fuel and won't start. The engine has TBI. I ran the self diagnostics, as shown in the Haynes manual. I get a Code 55 -- 5 red flashes & 5 green flashes. Problem is Haynes doesn't show a Code 55. Highest is Code 44 - 4 red & 4 green flashes,which indicates the EFI system is operating normally. Has anyone got any information that might help me on this? Does the Code

55 mean the same as the Code 44? I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
Reply to
Munchkin

You may need a better manual. The Factory 89 Sentra manual I have shows 55 is no failure(normal), and does not show a 44

11 crank angle sensor 12 air flow meter ckt 13 water temp sensor ckt 14 vehicle speed sensor ckt 21 ignition signal missing in primary coil 23 idle switch ckt 25 A.A.C Valve ckt 31 ECU 32 EGR function 33 exhaust gas sensor ckt 35 exhaust gas temp sensor ckt 43 throttle sensor ckt 45 injector leak 55 No malfunctioning in above ckts

I had an 89 12 valve motor, the tensioner broke, the timing chain jumped, started running badly, jumped some more & died. I sold it rather than take the head off & see if the pistons/valves were damaged... (fairly common...)

Note: This ECU has no memory. If you kill the power before the test, all codes are erased.

Reply to
gary

it may be time to replace 1989 horsesheet?

Reply to
Chad Michael Mallett

Thanks for the info. guys. I appreciate it. I'll leave the decisions up to my daughter, seeing as how it's her car. Thanks again.

Reply to
Munchkin