1990 sentra steering question

We just acquired a 1990 sentra and it's steering requires a lot of force to turn the wheels. Was no power steering an option back then? Are other correctable factors involved in difficult steering. Thanks.

Reply to
Laemming

Power steering's (PS) been around a LONG time.

See if it has a power booster diaphram-looking assembly attached to the brake Master Cylinder or elsewhere...if it's there, you probably DO have PS...whether it works or not is another subject. Check for a PS fluid reservoir and see if anything is in it...or even if you have a PS reservoir.

If you don't have a PS reservoir or Diaphram assembly, then you have some other problem because even "standard" steering shouldn't be that hard to turn. Perhaps problems with your rack-and-pinion gears, steering box (no/low oil) or binding of the linkage somewhere.

Hopefully, you DO have PS but it only needs service.

Didn't you check out the car before buying (?) it? [A rhetorical question]

If you're going to work on the car, get a Haynes Repair Manual for it...it has troubleshooting stuff in there for these things.

Good luck,

John D.

Reply to
John D.

My 91 Sentra has 148k miles on it and has really hard-to-turn rack-and-pinion steering. It reminds me of the manual steering of the

65 Impala my dad had. Once the car is rolling (even slowly) steering is easy. The previous owner had the dealer look at it and could find no faults with it (they called it "tight" steering) i think it should be a little easier to turn when at a dead stop, but i figure i need the exercise! robbie
Reply to
Robbie Wilson

Brake booster indicates power steering? No. At least my 1986 Renault didn't have power steering but did have power brakes.

Look for the power steering pump (it is run by a pulley off the rubber accessory belt on the front of the engine), a fluid reservoir with cap labelled "Power Steering" or something similar, and hoses leading between these things and the steering rack. That's how to tell you have power steering. Only if you have none of that stuff, do you have manual steering.

Reply to
Rich

You're right...my mistake.

Thanks for the correction...got my wires crossed.

John D.

Reply to
John D.