1991 Nissan NX 1600 help?

Will be doing some checking on this today. Have some electrical problems, first the fan inside that runs the heater and air cond. only runs at full speed. There are 5 or 6 setting that control the fan but only the highest setting works. Second, when I push the button to start the air cond. the compressor does not start. The green light on the dash works but it does not start the compressor. Third, it does not seem the electric fans on the radiator are operating. With the hot weather last week I would have thought the fans would be running wild. The temp. on the gauge reads normal most of the time. I did notice once it went up pretty high but still within operationg levels. I could not stop to see if fans were running. I'm wonder if the large relays near battery are ok. Anyone know how to test these.

Thanks rich

Reply to
evodawg

This is from memory, so take it with a grain of salt...

The inside blower motor is probably the resistor pack. very common. It's located in the air duct, all that should be visible is the connector (remove the assembly from the duct to test/replace it)

The radiator fans turn on as needed. One for the AC, one for motor cooling. The AC one should turn on when the AC is running The motor cooling one only turns on when the motor is warmer. (It's normally off while the car is moving down the road) Leave it in park on a hot day for 10-15 minutes, either the fan should turn on, it it'll over heat (At least in Texas today it will)

The compressor may not turn on if the pressure sensors in the system prevent it (too high/low I think).

It's unlikely several relays went bad (one for each fan, one for the compressor) has someone been playing with the electrical system? has this car not seen maintenance for a while?

Reply to
Gary

Thanks for your help so far!

Ok the radiator fans are running. Just got concerned when I wasn't hearing them but I guess the water was not getting hot enough.

I'll look for the resistor pack. Could you be more specific where it is? Is it inside the car's duct work or under the hood near the blower? I took the center console out today thinking it was behind the switch. I had to anyway because I needed to hook up a linkage that came loose. Obviously I didn't find the resistor pack.

So if the air cond. is charged to high it could keep it from running? Your right about all the relays going bad at the same time I agree and it appears they didn't. Wondering if I can jumper to the air compressor to see if the clutch engages?

No one but me has messed with electrical on the car. I'm pretty versed when it comes to auto's. Electrical always gets a little tricky though.

Thanks again

Reply to
evodawg

On the resistor pack, get on your knees and look up where the passenger would put their feet. You'll see 4 wires going into a duct near the blower motor. They run into a small black board held in by 2 screws.

I'm not that wise on the AC, I just know if it's not right, there are sensors/switches that'll turn off power to the compressor clutch.

Reply to
Gary

Gary, Thanks for all your help and pinpointing exactly where that resistor pack is. I'll be tackling this today.

Reply to
evodawg

Ok, If this is the right one when I pull it out it looks like it has a large metal square piece running up into a air duct, it almost looks like this metal piece blocks an air vent. Kinda like a temp. control device or climate control. The connector on this one has 4 wide tabs like the fan switch in the center console. Then there is another much smaller one closer to the fan motor that I have not taken out yet. Maybe that's the one?

Reply to
evodawg

Here's what I pulled out today. I decided to take a picture of it to confirm what it looks like. Let me know if this is even close to what it should look like. Like I said earlier, looks like a temp sending device for climate control. It blocks duct work for some reason. This looks like a Nissan part only. Should be interesting on what they want for this???

evodawg

Yes, that is the blower resistor. Should cost about $25 at your local dealership. The replacement unit has been redesigned and will not look exactly the same (replaced mine in a 92 Sentra a few months ago) take it to the dealership to compare it with the new unit for fit, but the new design fits fine.

Reply to
LouieG

Reply to
Gary

Picked up one at our local Pick a Part for 3.00 and hooked it up before leaving the parking lot and everything works fine. Dealer wanted 38.00 for it. Picked up a bunch of other stuff to. It's nice having the Sentra to fall back on since having this car I have only seen 3 and that's in 8 years. Guess it's fairly rare when it comes to Nissan's, even the dealer when quoting the part price had a hard time finding info on it.

Thanks to all, now it's time to tackle the Air Cond. leak but I'm pretty sure I know where that's at. Should be an easy fix. When I was at the junk yard I asked what an Air Cond. compressor went for just in case, $50.00.

Reply to
evodawg