1996 Quest Remote Keyless Entry Inconsistent

I have a 1996 Nissan Quest Van GXE.

When I use the remote keyless entry sometimes it works and other times it does not work. Sometimes I need to walk around the van to get it to activate. Is it possible that RFI radio frequency interference can cause it to be inconsistent? I have replaced the batteries, it happens on both or our remotes.

Is there a receiver mounted inside the engine compartment that reads the signal? Can it be faulty?

Has anyone have this problem.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Reply to
ED

I have a 1997 Quest XE and it's been psycho with locks from the beginning since it was brand new. It locks itself whenever it wants (mostly in summer, I've noticed) and I usually have to get right up close to get the keyless entry to work. Of course, it never does this at the shop, so they won't even try to fix it, but I've made them replace a few components here and there to no avail. Recently it's gotten worse and will keep locking itself while I'm trying to get in or out, which is frustrating. On hot days it will sometimes sit in the parking lot and activate the locks off and on at random. I'm at wit's end and about ready to trade it in for something else (but feel bad for the poor sucker who ends up buying it). Sorry I'm not much help for your problem but it felt good to vent.

Reply to
marbles_2

Our 1996 Quest never had the problem you are noting. Only problem we have is, the keyless entry remote just doesn't always work.

Reply to
ED

I beleive the problem with the mysterious doors locking themselves whenver they want to is due to a fault in the master door lock switch. That's the switch in the driver's door that also controls all the power windows. It happened in my 98 Maxima due to it getting wet. Rather than replace it ($100 part) I just visciously dried it with a hair dryer. That worked.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

I should add that I dried it thoroughly with the hair dryer after removing it from the door and dis-connecting from the harness. That way the air could et into all the nooks and crannies to drive moisture out.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

One time when I was complaining about my door locks to the Nissan service manager he said that one customer was having trouble with the locks whenever he drove onto the local Navy base. Apparently there was some kind of radio interference and I think he said they changed the locks/keys and it was fine. (Been a long time ago but I do remember part of the story.)

I'm not sure I'm ready to take doors apart and blast th> Our 1996 Quest never had the problem you are noting.

Reply to
marbles_2