Keyless entry

Just bought a 1997 Legacy Outback. This is japan-made car sold in europe.

The dealer told me the car was equipped with a keyless entry system and showed me the receiver between the interior lamps. Unfortunately the seller seems to have lost the remotes.

Dealer demands $200 to give me a new remote. I find this a litte to much.

Seems there is several sites on the internet selling remotes. Should I get the one for the Outback or the Legacy? I have a 1997 Legacy Outback.

I also wonder if there might be a difference between US solds cars and european in which remote to use?

Anybody knows how to program these things?

Reply to
VLH

Remotes are frequently listed on eBay in the $US 10-20 range. There seem to be a few different series of them for different years or models of Subaru. Sorry, but I can't provide any advice regarding your year and model.

VLH wrote:

Reply to
BBB

Reply to
jimuntch

I'm in much the same situation with a '95 Legacy Wagon. I do actually have the original key, but the infrared transmitter doesn't work. Or, at least, it only works very very intermittently. And I don't want to pay the Subaru price for a new one.

However! I find that the *other* keyless (truly keyless) entry system is more interesting. Not many people seem to know this, but you can prigram a PIN into the car which allows you to unlock the car without a key by lifting the driver's door handle the appropriate number of times.

Suppose you had 1234 as your PIN. Lift and release the door handle. Wait for the car to beep. Lift and release the door handle twice. Wait for the car to beep. Etc. After the 4th digit the car will unlock.

The manual doesn't seem to mention this system, and I learned about it only on the internet. If your locked car beeps after you lift the release the door handle then you have this system too!

-- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

"jimuntch" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Thanks!

Anyone with a japanse build car that could give me a description of the remote if possible with the correct part number?

What other differences between japanse and US build cars?

Reply to
VLH