Programming a new remote for keyless entry/alarm ('96 Saab 900SE)

So I just bought a 1996 Saab 900SE 5 door that has keyless entry and alarm installed. However, the car didn't come with any remotes. Can I buy a remote from ebay or the like and have it programmed? Or do I have to order one directly from Saab. If the former, can I program the remote myself?

Thanks, Vinay

Reply to
googlethis

Yes, you can buy them on ebay. You have to have a dealer re-program them. You should probably look for an independent mechanic though - they tend to charge a lot less than dealers for most work.

FYI - be aware that if you lock you Saab with the remote and set the alarm, it WILL NOT START unless you unlock it with a remote that has already been programmed to match (before it was locked). I would not use the remote to lock/alarm it until you have TWO remotes. A dealer can replace the alarm ECU but it costs in excess of $1K.

Both of these annoyances are good things as they help prevent theft.

Reply to
- Bob -

Great advice Bob. Thank you.

Reply to