2000 altima Thermostat unstable

The thermostat of my 2000 altima reach the stable position and even the heater is working ok. Now if i step on the gas fast, then the thermostat needle comes down, fluctuates and even touch "C". If I step off the gas, then it again comes back to stable state(middle of the meter).

if i keep running on a stable speed on a highway, or say the speed is like 45-50, then needle continues staying in the middle( stable state)

Could anyone please help, as to what is the root cause of this..

Thanks, Sam

Reply to
VabsieSam

the thermostat is not the problem.

You are experiencing a loose connection on the thermo transmitter, that is what the gauge uses to determine engine temp.

It is located just above the alternator on the aluminum outlet housing the upper radiator hose is attached to , it has a single wire to it.you will need to replace that part

Reply to
NissTech

This sounds more like a regulator problem either in the dashboard or the alternator. Up and down with RPM like you describe doesnt sound like a flakey thermostat

-SP

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete

So i guess, i need not worry about the ups and downs and just keep on driving... or shud i get the repair done!!

-Sam

Reply to
VabsieSam

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima and I had the same problem you have and changing temperature gauge sending unit took care of this problem ,I got my part at Pinnacle Nissan at discount price plus shipping ,since my local Nissan dealer refused to give me a discount ,with shipping charges I still paid less than local dealer cost. Good luck Lado

Reply to
system