2001 Sentra Oxygen Sensor

My dealer just told me that my oxygen sensors are very bad and can break any time. He also pointed out that bad corrosion in lot of bolts!

Is this oxygen sensor thing very strange for my mileage (55000 miles)??

Thanks in advance

Reply to
suresh

I'd ask him how he knew the O2 sensor was "very bad".

O2 sensors do seem to be something of a consumable.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

He doesn't know if it is bad unless he took it out and tested it or if the check-engine light was on with an O2 sensor code. There is no need to replace it just because there is some corrosion on the outside of it. Sounds like somebody is trying get you to pay for his Christmas presents.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I guess I needed to have been more clear about my case. I apologize.

Here are more details: One fine morning my CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS came out and I took to the dealer. Dealer tested and told me that there is some emission relation problem and he ordered the parts and asked me to get it fixed after 3 days. He temporarily adjusted my check engine light to go off. So, I started driving but after a day, again the lights came on. I called the dealer and made sure it is okay to drive. I kept on driving for 4 days and after that gave my car to get it fixed. Dealer called me after 2 hours and said "hey.. we found out one more problem with the oxygen sensor...and we have to replace it"

THis is what happened behind the scenes. I would be glad to get your revised comments. THanks in advance!

Reply to
suresh

On 12/10/2004 10:38 AM US(ET), E. Meyer took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

My 97 PU engine light came on exactly at 46,600.00 miles. I took the truck to Autozone and they read the computer with the OBDII reader. It came back with an error code of P0110 which translates to the Intake Air Temp sensor (at least with their tester). They then reset the computer to turn off the check engine light. I drove the truck for 3 more months and the check engine light never came back on. The other day, I brought the truck in for its annual state inspection. They use a state approved OBDII tester. They got no error codes and the truck passed. So, maybe the first check engine light display was an error, or something that fouled up for a short time and then cleared itself, or a pre-programmed inducement to bring the car in for service whether it needs it or not.

Reply to
willshak

This sounds more reasonable than the rusted bolt story.

If they hadn't fixed the problem yet, it is reasonable that the engine light came on again. It provides confirmation that there was in fact a problem. If it hadn't come back on, then you probably wouldn't have needed any parts.

What parts did they replace before deciding that the O2 sensor was also bad? Also, which O2 sensor do they want to replace, front or back? The front one is used by the engine computer to adjust the fuel/air mixture. The back one tells the computer whether the catalytic converter is working.

Reply to
E. Meyer