88 Maxima AC Compressor

My Maxima's a/c hadn't worked in a while,and I chose not to fix it. About 6 days ago it began to squeal terrible, eventually my belt broke. I assume the clutch or compressor has locked. Are they a one unit deal, or can the clutch be the only problem?

Reply to
Dwight Sirls

could be either.

if after you remove the clutch and the compressor still turns you are good to go

Reply to
NissTech

Either case the cheapest way out is a used one. If the A/C wasn't on and it locked up, the clutch bearing let go. I recall on these doesn't the alternator run off the A/C compressor?

Reply to
Steve T

Yes, that is what is keeping it parked.

Dwight