89 Sentra stalls after 10 minutes of driving...

I have a '89 Sentra that I use to get groceries and such. It starts fine and seems like it runs pretty strong at first.

However, after about 10 to 15 minutes of driving/idling it stalls. When I'm driving and I notice that it's about to stall, I give it more gas and it doesn't seem to help. It's like the power is cutting out making the car jerk for about a minute until it stalls. After stalling, the car turns over and runs for a half a second and stalls again.

Most times I'm already at the grocery store parking lot (my drive is mostly downhill) when this happens, and when I come back to my car it starts fine and goes back up the hill like nothing happened.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
xeeton

replace the distributor

Reply to
NissTech

the entire distributor assembly or just the "distributor cap"?

Reply to
xeeton

You need to replace the distributor. It is actually a seal inside that is broken and leaks oil into your camshaft position sensor. Unfortunately you cannot simply replace this piece. What happens is the oil heats up and leaks into the CS Pos Sensor which uses an electric eye persay to flash through 360 different notches to control timing. When the oil leaks in...it basically gets confused and your engine surges then will stall out...after the oil has drained down your car will be able to start again. Not a cheap fix, but I assure you thats is the problem.

Reply to
rworoch

hey it is the fuel pump or the alternator

Reply to
boriqua1218