89 Sentra still needs TLC / help!

I'd recently been posting to the group, looking for help to revive my

89 Sentra (85,600 miles) which hadn't been run in over 3 years due to several failures of several mechanics to diagnose and repair some problems. After posting here and following through on suggestions to diagnose the fuel pressure regulator - I was elated to get the car up and running with a new pressure regulator!

Now the little gas miser has some trouble under heavy acceleration (more than half a pedal push on the gas) and on long hills: around 3800

- 4200 RPMs, the engine will just die until I let off the pedal and re-apply slower with less force. I am not sure if it's being denied gas, or spark, or air. Engine also seems to knock too much, given I am using 89 octane in it. And whether it's related or not, the A/C doesn't do much (prpb. neeeds a re-charge)

I have replaced the air cleaner, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter. Bought a PCV filter but can't find the little bugger yet.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction, I am not ready to hand over the a dealer and ask for their expen$ive help yet.

Ben in Tamaqua, PA

Reply to
Ben

You could hear a pin drop when the almighty "Ben" addressed his adoring fans with these immortal words:

sounds like the engine is starving. Check both the fuel filter and the fuel pump. I'd suggest replacing the fuel filter since it's an inexpensive item and then test drive. If the problem doesn't go away, then have the fuel pump check for proper pressure.

Reply to
kegler