92 stanza fuel pump replaced, now intermittent start prob

Last Friday, 1/16, had the fuel pump replaced in mom's 92 Stanza XE

2.4l KA24E. Since then, every so often the car will keep cranking and cranking before starting. My thought is that the shop miserably connected the lines to the pump either inside or outside of the tank and it's letting the pressure drop, requiring it to build again before it starts. Or the check valve is messed up and the fuel is running back into the tank. It happens randomly and there's no gas smell. The car started fine before the fuel pump issue. When the pump went it was about zero degrees outside and my initial thought was frozen fuel lines because there was no fuel at the filter and she let the tank go til almost empty. I added 5gal gas and a bottle of water remover/anti-freeze and throughout the day would crank on it hoping it would thaw out. Could I have killed (or maimed) the relay, or did the shop that put the pump in screwed up?

TIA, Mike

Reply to
mazdaman85

did you use a factory OEM pump or did you get one from PEP-Boys or NAPA ?

Reply to
NissTech

She had the work done at a local shop (non-Nissan), so I don't know where they got it. The price for the pump was listed as $125 on the invoice. I know that's cheap compared to other prices I've seen. It's more than likely that it came from Parts Plus or Autozone. One of those places had one for $86 for the pump only and $125 may be the shop's markup. It did cross my mind that the replacement is too weak and doesn't put out enough pressure. But when you're driving it it doesn't hesitate and when you hit the gas it's right there.

Reply to
mazdaman85