Engine does not start, Fuel Pump replaced....

Hi,

I have a Wrangler YJ 88, about 3 weeks ago I totaly ran out of gas so that my motor stopped. I had to put in some gas from my jerry can. Now after 3 weeks the engine suddenly stopped ( I had enough fuel though) and I could not start the motor again. I had the Jeep towed to a garage, where they replaced the fuel pump. The Mechanist said that the Membrane of the Fuel Pump broke. I drove the Jeep for

2 days again, but the motor was running quite rough, almost went out when standing at a traffic light or so.

Now yesterday morning I had the same problem, could not start the engine. Called my Mechanist again he said, we probably have to change the Fuelp Pump and replace it with an electric fuel pump, but it also could be the Camshaft... What has the Camshaft to do with that?

Anyone got similar problems or can help.

Thanks Redford

Reply to
Redford Simon

Rust/scale from the jerry can punctured the diaphragm, is my guess.

The camshaft allows the mechanic to apply the 'bend-over' factor to the bill. The camshaft has a lobe that pumps the fuel pump... I don't think that's your problem. I *do* think that you should look for another mechanic.

When you ran out of gas, you got a bunch of crud into your fuel supply system. You need to change any fuel filters in your system... I'd make sure that there's one between the tank and pump. You probably should completely empty and clean your fuel tank... replacing the filters and checking the pump should get you going again. Good luck. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

I 'really' hope you changed your oil after the fuel pump went out!

An oil pan full of gasoline will do bad things to bearings....

Also after any work on old fuel pumps or gas lines it is a good idea to change the gas filter out.

The gas filter has a 'gotcha' too. If it goes in upside down, all the gas will drain out of the lines when it sits which can mean you need to prime the carb with fuel to get it running again. Just like when it ran out of gas.

The filter has 2 outlets, the center outlet goes to the carb and the 'top' outlet goes to the return line. If the return line isn't at the top, gas can and will syphon back to the tank.

Mike

Redford Sim>

Reply to
Mike Romain