92 maxima SE

Hi, I just found this newsgroup today and was hoping someone here might have some insight into an ongoing problem with this car. I just bought it in Nov. (70,000 miles) and right after I put my first full tank of gas it developed a hesitation, loss of power, while accelerating. It was very intermittant at first and then seemed to be happening regularly as well as stalling. I put some dry gas in and waited for another tank of gas but it kept happening on and off. We took it to Nissan 2 weeks ago and well, after $1500. (water pump repair also, unrelated) air flow meter, o2 sensor, ignition coils, fuel injector cleaner it is still happening. I went to pick it up today and was told they couldn't return it yet because when it was being tested it started stalling out. The manager (who has been great) said he was going to call California today to get some info on what else it could be. I am so frustrated and can't believe that they don't know how to fix this. I don't think I could even sell this car and get back my investment (which is now approx. $4800 after all the repairs to date). If anyone has any ideas please............... Jeanette

Reply to
JTK

I traded off an 89se about the same engine as your 92. If putting in new plugs running a good injector cleaner through and replacing the fuel filter/air filter can't stop this. "And Nissan should be able to find a failed sensor".Then thats about all that can be done. I am in fear that you are just really out of luck money wise. If your Max has power windows get ready for some more real costly repairs as they fail all four of mine failed. The part alone is $90 each window with labor it ends up around $200 and has your Max had the timing belt changed? the manual says change at 60K if it fails your engine is scrap. dk

Reply to
Dave Kind

A. The 92 SE has a different motor than the 89. B. The dealer should not expect you to pay for repairs that do not fix your problem. C. The window regulators are available online for $45 ea. (from me) D. the coils normally will show cracks if they have a problem E. Adding more/better grounds does help the hesitation on some of these cars.

Just my .02 Brian (92 SE)

Reply to
Brian

Your splitting hairs: Both are crappy SOHV with timing belts.

Yeah try getting them to give you back even a penny. Good Luck!!

Wonderbar how sweet you are.

Best to dump the little junkpile. Get a 95 to 98 The 98 was the last of the good Nissans.

Reply to
Dave Kind

UMM.. WRONG!!!! I have a DOHC with chains like ALL 92-94 SEs Not to mention the C.O.P. system and NVECS

True but the state's attorneys might be of some help

WTF?

Wanna bet on that?

Reply to
Brian

I have owned 2 SEs in the past -- a 92 and a 93. The 92 ran well, but experienced VTC problems and a failed pressure plate at about 62k miles. The 93 never ran properly -- lacked power and performance of the 92. Dealer could never figure it out, but ultimately thought it might be the ECU. I got rid of the car and now drive a Honda Prelude.

Reply to
twaugh5

My '92 GXE (with 141K miles) has the exact same problem. Brought it to the dealer - they hooked it up to their diagnostic equipment and found nothing! Fortunately, they didn't charge me for it! I'm still at a loss as to what the problem is.

I have speculated that it may be water in the gas tank - it never happens in the summer - and it usually happens if I let the tank run low (maybe 1/8th of a tank) and fill it up when it's really cold. If I fill-up at 1/3rd of a tank or more in the winter, it rarely happens.

Perhaps you have experienced this?

Reply to
Man on Mission